Q_and_A forum: Students can edit/delete their post while reading others' posts?

Q_and_A forum: Students can edit/delete their post while reading others' posts?

by Ghassan Geara -
Number of replies: 13
Dear all,

The Q&A forum - as per MoodleDocs - should work like this:

"In a Q and A forum, tutors post the question and students respond with possible answers. By default a Q and A forum requires students to post once before viewing other students' postings. After the initial posting, students can view and respond to others' postings. This feature allows equal initial posting opportunity among all students, thus encouraging original and independent thinking."

But how about if a student post once, read the others' posts than come back and "Edit" his post (he has 15 min to edit) or even worse, delete his post?

Is there a way in the Q&A to deny edit or delete for a student? Otherwise, i see this feature of hiding others' post as useless. Am i missing something in the Q&A forum?

I'm using 1.6.5
Cheers,
G

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ghassan Geara

Re: Q_and_A forum: Students can edit/delete their post while reading others' posts?

by Rob Johnson -
I tried to use the Q & A forum and ran into this very issue. It was not long before some students would type a few words and post to be able to read other posts. This defeated the purpose of the Q & A forum. Perhaps keeping other students' post from showing until the editing time is up would be the way to go.

Rob
In reply to Rob Johnson

Re: Q_and_A forum: Students can edit/delete their post while reading others' posts?

by Ghassan Geara -
Hi Rob, yes i agree. I think this is the easiest and best fix: to hide others' posts until the editing time is over!

Does anyone has the code to fix that for Moodle 1.6.5.? We'll really appreciate it.

Thanks,
G
In reply to Rob Johnson

by Susan Mangan -
How can you set to 'hide others' posts until editing time is over'? I can disallow students from deleting their own posts and have shortened the edit time to 1 minute to try to solve this problem; however, the latter hasn't gone over well for our regular forum users! Any updates or 'creative solutions' for this one?

by Artem Andreev -
I've added bug report about this: bug 9376. Vote please
In reply to Artem Andreev

by Ghassan Geara -
Thanks for ur replies.
i'll vote right away! wink

G
In reply to Artem Andreev

by Stephen Barner -
I'd also like to see a restriction toggle on access to the Add a new question button. If a student selects this instead of replying to the prompt question, her post may be seen by all other students.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Vlas Voloshin -
I've fixed this bug - apply the patch in attachment. With this edition, user will still be unable to see other students' replies, until 30 min (or other time, which is set in config) period has passed after his/her post. After this period, editing or deleting of user's post is not allowed, so all other posts are shown. This, of course, applies only to the first user's post in the discussion. All other user's posts will behave as usual.
Though patch was created on the base of latest stable 1.9.x build, I'm sure it'll do fine on older versions.
Another little edition may be to change the string, which is printed instead of hidden posts, so it mentions that post may be hidden because editing period is still on - just to give user an idea why those posts are still hidden.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Vlas Voloshin

by Vlas Voloshin -
Here's an update to the patch, it fixes a little error and removes one unnecessary database query for each post. If you applied my previous patch, you should first replace your /mod/forum/lib.php file to that from the standard build, or reverse apply that patch. Use -p0 when applying my patches.

by Diane Yeager -
Has this been added to the standard build? If so do you know what version?
Thanks

by Doris Johnson -

I know this post is from 2008, but I have moodle 1.9 and would like to apply this patch. Do I replace the /mod/forum/lib.php with this file? thanks for your help. Our faculty would love this fix.

In reply to Doris Johnson

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Doris,

Looking at MDL-9376 it seems the fix is available in Moodle 1.9.12 onwards.

In reply to Doris Johnson

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Check to see if anyone is using the Q&A forum in the live classroom context. If they are then this fix will probably remove a big chunk of its value, as they won't see the other students answers till 30 minutes later. 

See my comments here

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=219417

by brianna mceowen -

hellooo(:

i'm a first time moodle user.