best module to use...

best module to use...

by Mike Jackson -
Number of replies: 2

I am trying to decide which module to use for the following assignment. I am teaching an environmental science course and want the students to each create an "executive summary" about a person, place, organization or issue of note in env sci. I would like the students to post their summaries to moodle in such a way that they can all view all the summaries. I envisage them creating their summaries as word files or powerpoints ( they will likely contain images).

I was looking at creating a forum for them to post their summary to, perhaps with an overview in the posting text and then the rest of the document as an attachment. This would allow me to rate each summary and for the other students to comment on and/or discuss the summaries.

Is there another tool that would work better? Any other suggestions?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Jackson

Re: best module to use...

by Mark Drechsler -
You could consider using a Database activity - you could create a template that defined a structure for each student representing (for example) the title, some text (for the summary), one or two images and a generic file attachment if they want to upload a ppt or similar. Students can rate each other's work and leave comments, teachers can rate posts, but there is one catch - the grades don't automatically go into gradebook in v1.8 and earlier. This is resolved in v1.9 (http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-9970).

Hope this helps!
In reply to Mike Jackson

Re: best module to use...

by ALESSANDRO GIORNI -
You have two other possibilities:
a. use the glossary: it allows each user to post a definition (this could be the summary you're talking about) and the user can attach images, files or audios to it.
Every student can see the works of the others and evalutate it.
You as teacher can evalutate each posting and the whole.

b. use the netpublishing module, which needs to be extra installed.
It works like a cooperatrive magazine, where the teacher decides the different parts (titles) and each user/student posts his/her contribution. It works fine.