Multilingual content management

Multilingual content management

by Jonas Lagneryd -
Number of replies: 9
Hi,
I am going to set up a Moodle based multilingual course portal and I wonder if anyone can guide me regarding what is possible to translate in current version - 1.9?
Categories and Sub-categories?
Courses - sort and long?
Course summary/description?
Block names?
Text page?
Web page?
Links?
Course directories?
Label?
Assignment?
Choice?
Journal?
Lesson?
Quiz?
Survey?
Glossary?
Wiki?
Workshop?

Have I missed anything?

Thanks a lot for helping better understand stort leende
Kind regards,
Jonas

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jonas Lagneryd

Re: Multilingual content management

by marcel van baaren -
Hi Jonas, had any answer yet? I am having the same issue. We use moodle for training and I need to make it multilanguage supportive. Eng, Fr,ES,Ger etc. Quite a task but I am excited to make it work.
In reply to marcel van baaren

Svar: Re: Multilingual content management

by Jonas Lagneryd -
Hi,
Interesting. No, no replies yet. I believe it would be a real treat if Moodle could support a function for easy management of multilingual content.
So please, everyone, share your experience, knowledge and ideas on this issue!
Jonas leende

Re: Svar: Re: Multilingual content management

by marcel van baaren -

Hi Jonas, I just have been able to put tags in front of the different languages I use in Moodle. (we need a translation into 20 diff language, over a time span of 5 years mixed) For that I would recomment you to read the message just 4 below this one : Multilanguage content.

I am now on the quest to see how you can make appear the same scorm but in another languag. Theoraticaly you need to put two SCORM files in one lesson.

by Jeff Forssell -
I haven't tried it in a SCORM yet but I would imagine that by marking up the HTML pages in it with alternative language blocks it ought to work:

So a page could be:

{Language 1}{Language 2}{Language 3} {common content: picture, applet etc.} {Language 1}{Language 2}{Language 3}

but I would try it first with a simple page.

A page like this would only work in a filtered environment, like a properly configured Moodle. (Or someone made a custom CSS in his browser to turn off unwanted languages)

PS I'm sure you meant "tags around" rather than "tags in front of". Just so no one gets mislead into thinking you can just put it in front.

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
The translation of a scorm package should be handled in an SCORM authoring system.

They create normally one scorm package for each language or give you a language switcher at the beginning.

by Jonas Lagneryd -
Hi again,
It would be interesting to have a look at your site. Is it ready to see?
Kind regards, Jonas

by Jonas Lagneryd -
Hi again,
How do you go about translating categories, sub-categories, and course names?
Kind regards,
Jonas

by Jonas Lagneryd -
Hi Marcel and thanks for answering this question via e-mail!
I tested and of course it works. It is not the most user friendly management, but still.
One thing I wonder as a follow-up. How to handle Forums and Blogs? Can one show resp hide these for the resp languages?

Kind regards,
Jonas

by Angela Roberts -
So, did you guys figure out how to do this.

I have a "book" module I am making but it will be read by children that speak Spanish and English and I don't know the best way of putting the content together to make sure all the kids can read it.

Could someone give me a step by step for dummies for what I need to do?

angela