Parents, teachers and students

Parents, teachers and students

by Sidrix Argemonix -
Number of replies: 3

Hello all!

I want to develop a moodle module that can give information to the parents about their kids.

The idea, is to have a dedicated "login" for parents (both the mother and the father -you never know if they are divorced or something-), and they would have almost the same privileges of the guest user. The only difference is that they have access to a  diary entry with the teacher of their sons.

This diary entry is private, not graded, and can have feedback from teachers and parents alike.

Also, if a parent has more that one kid  on the school, the idea is that the parent can see the courses their kid is taking (for all his kids).

Im fairly new to moodle, but have experience programming with php.

Any ideas on how to do this or where to start ???

Thank you very much

SA

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sidrix Argemonix

Re: Parents, teachers and students

by Tom Murdock -

This is an interesting idea.  My first impulse is to use a private version of forums, but having the parents log-in seems like an expensive bridge for a nickel activity (especially if those "auditing" participants begin to clog up the system)...

But your idea of a conversation between parent/student/and teacher seems very compatible with Moodle ideas.  Maybe this might also be a good place for "blogs."  It would be fairly interesting for Moodle to create a kind of "RSS" feed to a parent/teacher/student blog.--one that was privately accessed with a password rather than a log-in.  The feed would publish the weekly activities or new topics that were presented in the course. 

Student, teacher and parent could then discuss the activities and post a conversation in a content-rich, but sort of "neutral" territory...

(If this "blog" extension worked, I wonder if this would be the way to invite guest writers, guest speakers, guest alumni, etc., to be part of a Moodle discussion...)

??

by Petri Asikainen -
With current (also CVS) version Moodle this is quite difficult. Moodle does not have yet user groups or access control list. But those features are coming after higher priority issues have solved (Backups etc...).
Idea is intresting, from me it looks hard, but possible with current Moodle base. I would wait group/acl features before starting.

But if you want start now. You should look existing modules, make youself familar with /lib/moodlelib.php and /etc/datalib.php and functions in those files.

Have a fun,

Petri

by Stig Bjarne Haugen -

Good idea. I'm working at Nesna University college (HiNe) in Norway, an institution that educates a lot of teachers. From this autumn every professor and every student here will use Moodle, and my job is to teach them this. HiNe also has students in primary scools for several weeks, where they practise being a teacher. Moodle makes the contact between students and their practise school during the rest of the year easier, and even some primary schools want to start using Moodle.

This provides need for more than Admin, Teacher, Student and Guest. I'm thinking about something like Administrator, Teacher, Practice teacher, Student, Parent, Guest; which the administrator (and sometimes teachers) can choose which will be in use and in som level also to what they get access.

I'm not into any programming, but I'd really like to see this in a future version.