Authentication

José M Perales
Blank page after login

I have installed the last version of Moodle 1.8.2+, the instalation had no problems and that first time I was working as administrator was everything ok, but once I logoff, everytime I try to login again, to create a new account, or just login as guest I just get a blank page.

I have tried to erase config.php for reinstalling and also I have erased all files and tables in the database, for making a new instalation but I get the same results.

I work on a server with mysql 4.1.16, php 5.2.0 and all the extensions recommended, except openssl.

Average of ratings: -
rui
Re: Blank page after login

Hi, That seems like a problem with "php.ini"...
Have you tried phpinfo? if not, create a text document and place there the following lines:

<?php

phpinfo();

?>

Save it as "test123.php" and put it on your web directory. Call the page through your browser and see if it works, showing you everything about your current configuration. If it doesn't display any information, then php is not working...
I hope this helps,
Rui Ruas

José M Perales

Thanks.

phpinfo() is working, so the problem should be in other place. In fact, I was able to work with the site just after the instalation. It becomes unaccesible after I log out.

Daughter caught me driving down the street.
Group Testers
Try going into your database and running the following:

UPDATE `mdl_config` SET `value` = '2047' WHERE `name` ='debug'.

This will enable debugging of all reasonable PHP errors. Browse to your Moodle install and see what error(s) you get, and it may give you an idea of what is causing this. Post the error back here if you need any help.

Thanks,
Matt

José M Perales

Thanks.

I have tried it, the database now has the 2047 value, but nothing changes... when I login I get no error message, just a blank page after login.

Picture of Perry Horwich

I am seeing identical behavior. Same type of install:
Apache 2.0 Handler
Moodle 1.8.3
mysql Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.24
PHP 4.4.1
Hosing by ipowerweb

While trying to find a solution, I have used .htaccess file containing:
php_value memory_limit 40M
php_value upload_max_filesize 10M
php_flag display_errors on
php_value error_reporting 7
... with no change. Still see 'blank screen' immediately after login. Was able to create several users after install. Attempts to login as any of them yields a 'blank screen.' Script is failing somewhere, just not sure where/how. Don't have ready access to server error log, but am trying to get that now.

Tried following the suggested thread in these posts, but no luck there either.

Problem is particularly frustrating as I am able to use moodle (create courses and activities) immediately after install. One I log out, though, can't log back in. Have tried re-installing as well with same result. <sigh>

Hmm.... what to do?

Many thanks to all -

Perry

Picture of Iñaki Arenaza
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Putting debug settings in a .htaccess file won't do it if you are using 1.7 or later. Moodle changes those values as part of the page setup, so they don't work.

You need to put them at the bottom of the config.php file, just before the closing '?>' tag, using something like this:

ini_set ('display_errors', 'on');
ini_set ('log_errors', 'on');
ini_set ('display_startup_errors', 'on');
ini_set ('error_reporting', E_ALL);

Saludos. Iñaki.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Perry Horwich

Many thanks.

While I am curious to know exactly what was going wrong, I have 'moved-on.'

Am now paying $6 /month for hosting that included a moddle install script.  Very weak on my part....  Someone else will have to shed light on this particular dark mystery.

A wonderful freeware package with a wonderful dev/support community for sure.

Best regards -

Perry

Picture of David B Anderson

I am getting the same blank page as others have reported.
I noticed the URL still shows me at the login/index page so
I suspect it doesn't ever leave that script.

Any help would be appreciated,
dbabd

These are the errors after turning on debugging:
Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$enrol_dbtype in /opt/lampp/htdocs/moodle/enrol/database/enrol.php on line 634

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$enrol_dbhost in /opt/lampp/htdocs/moodle/enrol/database/enrol.php on line 635

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$enrol_dbuser in /opt/lampp/htdocs/moodle/enrol/database/enrol.php on line 635

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$enrol_dbpass in /opt/lampp/htdocs/moodle/enrol/database/enrol.php on line 635

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$enrol_dbname in /opt/lampp/htdocs/moodle/enrol/database/enrol.php on line 635

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$enrol_localuserfield in /opt/lampp/htdocs/moodle/enrol/database/enrol.php on line 42

Fatal error: Cannot access empty property in /opt/lampp/htdocs/moodle/enrol/database/enrol.php on line 42

Picture of Iñaki Arenaza
It seems you have enabled the external database **enrolment** plugin but you haven't configured it, so Moodle is crashing when it tries to use it.

Either disable it or configure it properly wink

Saludos. Iñaki.

Picture of David B Anderson

Thank you

Picture of Simon Walker

Normally this is because you have left debugging on, turn it off and

it all should work fine.

Picture of Jestin VanScoyoc

Thank you so much! I had apparently switched on LDAP enrollment recently and wasn't using it yet nor had it configured.

Picture of Olumuyiwa Taiwo

In my case, this problem (i.e. a blank screen after login attempt) was due to a strange behaviour in Moodle networking (mnet). Although networking is turned off in my installation, it seems that Moodle still goes ahead to renew the certificate, incrementing the value of mnet_localhost_id in mdl_config in the process of doing that. However, the value of mnethostid in mdl_user is not correspondingly changed, and this seems to be what caused the problem.

So, I suggest that in addition to the things already mentioned in this thread, anybody having the blank screen should also check the mnet-related stuff.

I had a similar problem in the past with a change in mnet_localhost_id when networking was not enabled, but on that occasion, the error given was something to do with an invalid authentication database.

This is probably a bug in Moodle networking (i.e. mnet), since mnet values in the database should be left alone if networking is not enabled, but I may be wrong.

I'm running Moodle 1.83+

Picture of Leticia Maimann-Roland

I am getting the following error in Moodle 1.9+:

Warning: require(/home/restricted/home/learningbrazilian/public_html/LB/learningbrazilian/settings/top.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/restricted/home/learningbrazilian/public_html/LB/lib/adminlib.php on line 4431

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/restricted/home/learningbrazilian/public_html/LB/learningbrazilian/settings/top.php' (include_path='/home/restricted/home/learningbrazilian/public_html/LB/lib/pear:.:/usr/share/pear') in /home/restricted/home/learningbrazilian/public_html/LB/lib/adminlib.php on line 4431

Does anyone have a clue???

I substituted the adminlib.php file, in case it was 'corrupted', but keeps the same... so, must be something else sad

Picture of Michael Goncharenko

Hi!

I think you should check the /home/restricted/home/learningbrazilian/public_html/LB/learningbrazilian/settings/top.php file. It seems to be missing.

the problem is that it doesn't even exist a folder called learningbrazilian inside the LB folder... so i thought it was some error... that was trying to look for a file in the wrong place...

I found out that I made a mistake...

I manually edited my config.php file and replaced 'admin' for 'learningbrazilian' in

$CFG->admin = 'admin';

Don't ask me why!!!

However, when I rewrite the right code, I still have an error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined method textlib::strtotitle() in /home/restricted/home/learningbrazilian/public_html/LB/admin/settings/plugins.php on line 126

It looks like there's a problem with the function strtotitle(), so I took a look in the plugins.php file and isolated the 2 times that the function was called (with //). I put the file attached.

However, I wonder what this function does and what are the consequences on having that part of the code not working...

Would love to have some feedback about it...

The page 'Manage filters' in Site Administration > Modules > Filters shows the following error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined method textlib::strtotitle() in /home/restricted/home/learningbrazilian/public_html/LB/lib/adminlib.php on line 4104

Picture of Michael Goncharenko

Leticia, is you Moodle updated properly?
It seems that some of your files are from the old version of Moodle.

Picture of Amitesh Das

Our developers/IT had created a website using the Moodle Open Source & gave me an site administrator acess. But I realized that I am not getting the Attendance & Face to Face options in the Activities Section under Courses.

Later I realized that the Attendance & Face to Face plugins need to be downloaded & configured. Hence I had downloaded the attendance plugin using Moodle. However I don't know how to configure or install it and I believe the mistake I did was that I must have not configured it, still tried to add the plugin.

Now I am getting a blank page whenever I login.

Please tell me how to configure or install attendance plugin & resolve this issue.

Thanks

Picture of Ken Task
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

@Amitesh Das

While your problem produces the same behavior (blank screen), this forum and the thread you 've posted in is about authentication and not installation issue/general problems.  Suggest, next time, posting your own and starting  a new thread in a more appropriate forum ... this one might get lost! ;)

One thing you need to share when reporting issues ... at least the version of Moodle.  It will make a difference in the answers you get.

How did you attempt to install?  Sounds like uploaded a zip and unzipped - but maybe in the wrong location - or the zip you downloaded an used to install is not compat with version of Moodle you are running.

If you installed manually ... are you sure the plugin/addon you are attempting to install is compatible with version of Moodle?

Please see:

http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/Installing_add-ons

note that is for version 2.5 of Moodle.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Picture of Heather Subocz

I am also having the same issue.  I have tried all of the textlib.class.php suggestions on this thread without success.  I can get to log in however if I press the back browser button then use the breadcrumbs to go back to the main site I can see that I am logged in.  I'm running Moodle 1.9.3 on Ubuntu.

Picture of Heather Subocz

fixed it by taking away ldap authentication...

me voilou

for us too a ldap authetification problem

a simple "apt-get install php5-ldap"

José M Perales

I have tried with more versions of Moodle, starting with version 1.2.1 (the one I started with).

Everything works fine until 1.5.4+, but when I upgrade to version 1.6 is when I start to have the same problem... when I login (as a part of the upgrading proccess) I do only get a blank page.

At least, while upgrading I got an error message, here is the errorlog entry...

[ mod_security: Access denied with code 500. Pattern match ".*" at ARG("no_http_headers") [hostname "mysite"] [uri "/moodle16/admin/config.php?installing=1"]

For trying to offer more information, here is the configure comand output from phpinfo(), but I can't see anything disabled that Moodle could need. 

'./configure' '--disable-pear' '--bindir=/usr/local/bin/php-cgi' '--disable-cli' '--enable-force-cgi-redirect' '--enable-fastcgi' '--with-mysql=/usr/local' '--with-gd' '--x-libraries=/usr/X11R6' '--enable-track-vars' '--enable-sysvsem' '--enable-sysvshm' '--enable-url-includes' '--with-jpeg-dir=/usr/local' '--with-png-dir=/usr/local' '--enable-sockets' '--with-config-file-path=/etc' '--with-zlib-dir=/usr/local' '--with-freetype-dir=/usr/local' '--enable-gd-native-ttf' '--with-imap=/usr/local' '--with-kerberos' '--with-gettext=/usr/local' '--enable-dbase' '--enable-ftp' '--with-pdflib=/usr/local' '--with-mcrypt=/usr/local' '--with-curl=/usr/local' '--enable-bcmath' '--with-mhash=/usr/local' '--enable-mbstring' '--enable-mbregex' '--with-ming=/usr/local' '--enable-xslt' '--with-xslt-sablot' '--with-expat-dir=/usr/local' '--with-iconv-dir=/usr/local' '--enable-calendar' '--enable-memory-limit' '--with-imagick=/usr/local' '--enable-exif' '--with-pdo-mysql'

Picture of Iñaki Arenaza

[ mod_security: Access denied with code 500. Pattern match ".*" at ARG("no_http_headers") [hostname "mysite"] [uri "/moodle16/admin/config.php?installing=1"]

Hummmm, it seems mod_security is installed and configured in your Apache web server. And it's blocking access to some URLs on your Moodle site.

If this is a hosted site, talk to their tech support so you can fix this. If you administer the machine, have a look at mod_security settings.

Saludos. Iñaki.

José M Perales
Solution found to Blank page after login

I was thinking the same, so I send a message asking for a solution to my host providers, ferca.com 

In a few hours they send me a new "textlib.class.php" and after uploading it to the /lib directory in the server, it started to work without problems. I have tested it for some days and everything seems to work fine.

Here is the file they sent me, so it can be used by any other who has the same problem.

Picture of Dragos Ciobanu
Re: Solution found to Blank page after login

Hi, everyone smile

This thread is exactly what I need now as I am having this very same problem. Many, many thanks!!!!

Jose, where does the "textlib.class.php" need to go, so I tell our university server admins? I saw I have an identically-named file in lib/ in the Moodle package... I guess I'll just leave that one there, as replacing it with the one that ferca.com sent you didn't make any difference...

Many thanks,

Dragos smile

José M Perales

Just replacing the textlib.class.php file in the /lib/ directory under the root directory of the moodle installation worked for me.

Picture of Charles Krengel eLearn Solutions

Jose

Thank you for sharing the modified  copy of textlib.class.php.

This solved the issue of a blank screen diplaying after entering username and password on moodle ver 1.8.3 for me.

Picture of Charles Krengel eLearn Solutions

textlib.class.php solved my problem of the blank screen however when an attempt was made to upload users (admin/uploaduser.php) in 1.8.3 it did not work.

A  function trim_utf8_bom($str) is called by uploaduser.php which is not present in this version of textlib.class.php.

Attached is an updated version of textlib.class.php which includes this function & now allows for uploading of users from a csv file in 1.8.3

outside my house

I used Simple Scripts to Ftp setup my course, it was ready in 3 minutes and no blank page.  First Three setups are free.

outside my house
Super Script installation

The 10/17/2011 installation with SimpleScript had the two problems database in latin and dataroot on public directory.

I had to

1. change the database to uni 8 
  2. move the data directory out of the Public areas.   Moving the directory was simple using cPanel Files I just copied and pasted and then delete the old dataroot directory.   You have to change the dataroot path in config.php but that is simple.  Also changing the database was simple using cPanel.  You can find directions of both processes by googling both problems.

Picture of Claudio Caetano

Hi All, I´m going throuh white page on version 2.2.
The page is active, but when logging in as admin I get the white page.
When I log in as a student I can navigate the site, but when I go to a course page, I get the white page as well.
I follow all steps described before and no solution. Sol I turn on the php erros notification and I get this:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_PAAMAYIM_NEKUDOTAYIM in /home/lumenleme/www/area_do_aluno/question/engine/lib.php on line 338

I´m tring to solve this here right now, but I need help.
Thanks in advanced.

Picture of Claudio Caetano

Hi, This is me again.
I want the opinio of a PHP expertise to tell me if I did the right thing.
I went to the file and the mentioned line 338:
return $class::get_required_behaviours();
and I change it to:
return $class(get_required_behaviours());
It seems to be ok now: the withe page disappered.
But I want to know if I did the right thing. The two lines above mean the same function?
I look foward to hearing from you.

Walking on the snow towards Lago Nero...
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Claudio,
Moodle 2.1+ requires PHP 5.3.2+: see e.g. http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=185012 to read about the reasons for your error.

HTH,
Matteo

Picture of mavrike tyagi

Got this one nailed! I am no expert, just the guy who searches docs & forums for solutions when faced with issues. I installed moodle 2.5, with all required supported packages, and then i installed new theme and next day when i woke and try to login as admin, i had WSOD . I tried 3 things: 1. modify the config.php in moodle dir [$CFG->sessioncookie='xzy_';] check url - http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Installation_FAQ#I_can.27t_log_in_-_I_just_stay_stuck_on_the_login_screen

second, i deleted .htaccess entries as i didn't needed them from moodledata , probably this was not the solution but i am writing what all i tried.

and third i purged all the data in cache by going to http://localhost/admin/purgecaches.php

and then restarted moodle - kaboom, wsod was gone and on my way to finish the business of my dream smile