Latex equation editor as Google Gadget

Latex equation editor as Google Gadget

by venkatesan iyengar -
Number of replies: 4
I just came across this google gadget built in xml. Can this be in any way implemented along with moodle html editor?

You can see in action here

Average of ratings: -
In reply to venkatesan iyengar

Re: Latex equation editor as Google Gadget

by Gustav W Delius -
Thanks a lot for telling us about this equation editor. I think it will be extremely useful for users who are new to TeX. Because it displays the actual TeX code as well as the typeset equation as you compose it, it helps users to learn TeX quickly and very soon they will not need to use the palette any more.

The easiest way to make this editor available to your users is to include it in one of the help files that users can view by clicking on the question mark icon next to the text areas in Moodle. You can edit the text of the help page and simply paste in the code for the gadget. You could put the gadget into help/writing.html for example.

For information on how to edit the text of the help page see http://docs.moodle.org/en/Language. You will want to use the "Edit help documents" link.
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by venkatesan iyengar -
I think a better option is to create an additional button in htmlarea to generate a popup for the google gadget and automatically insert equation in the htmlarea when close the gadget. I do not know whether it is possible to do this or not.
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by John Isner -
Hi Gustav,
Your colleague Chris Sangwin of the STACK project, University of Birmingham, recently released an applet-based equation editor called DragMath. It is a fully-WYSIWYG editor that can output several linear syntaxes, including LaTeX. It has been integrated with Moodle through a button on the html editor toolbar. When you want to insert an expression in your text, press the button and up pops the DragMath equation editor window. When you're finished creating your expression, press the DragMath Insert button; DragMath editor disappears and the LaTeX is automatically inserted into the html area at the current cursor position (avoiding the extra step of "copy and paste").

You can see a screenshot here, read about the documentation here, and join the forum discussion here.
In reply to venkatesan iyengar

by John Isner -
There have been several forum posts on sitmo in this forum. Sitmo is what I call a "partially WYSIWYG" equation editor, as explained below.

Supposed I want 1a03d0f7242823c05e0f16ad19f85201.gif. I push the c17e049691f2eb2d93102b7d4b309572.gif button and sitmo displays both the LaTeX and the rendered expression. Next, I must change 0cc175b9c0f1b6a831c399e269772661.gif to 9dd4e461268c8034f5c8564e155c67a6.gif. Unfortunately the rendered expression is read-only. I can only change the LaTeX. In a fully WYSIWYG editor, you do all your work directly on the rendered expression. You don't touch or even see the generated LaTeX until you're finished.

Have a look at DragMath equation editor. It is fully WYSIWYG and was recently integrated with Moodle through a button on the html editor toolbar. You can see a screenshot here and read about the documentation here and join the forum discussion here.