Site responding quickly except for one thing...

Site responding quickly except for one thing...

by John Isner -
Number of replies: 3
I have two sites: one is 1.6.3+ and the other is 1.6.1+. My hosting company recently migrated the sites to a new server. Since the migration, performance has been about the same as before (pages load in 1-2 seconds) except in one case. Loading

site Administration -> Admin... -> Configuration -> Variables

consistently takes about 45 seconds on either site! My hosting company has been unable to come up with an explanation.

Here are some additional facts that may be relevant:
  • LAMP
  • before the migration each site had its own database. Now they share a single database using different table prefixes
  • the 1.6.1+ site is unicode; the 1.6.3+ site needs unicode conversion
I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions for debugging the problem.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Isner

Re: Site responding quickly except for one thing...

by Steve Hyndman -

Humm...interesting set-up. What hosting company are you using John?

It really doesn't "cost" anything to use separate databases and it would be a lot "cleaner" set-up to keep them separate.

I have about fifteen 1.6+ installs on a dedicated server and don't have that problem with any of them...of course, none of them share the same database...there is really no reason for it since as the server admin, I can create as many databases as I want.

Steve

In reply to Steve Hyndman

by John Isner -
What hosting company are you using John?

If I told you, I'd have to enter the witness protection program smile

I would definitely prefer two separate databases. Merging the databases broke my maintenance scripts. Unfortunately I have a deadline coming up and I'm dealing with some higher-priority problems.
In reply to John Isner

by Steve Hyndman -

If I told you, I'd have to enter the witness protection program smile

Ha...enough said wink.

Good luck...with that type set-up, I'd ask for a discount!...uh, no, check that, I'd look for a new hosting company.

Steve