HTML Editor not showing and cache issue

HTML Editor not showing and cache issue

by Deon Metelski -
Number of replies: 6
Hello all,

I just installed the newest build of moodle 1.8.2 up to my Go Daddy host. I am viewing the site on a Mac OS X with FF ver. 2.0.0.7. I have tried this with every theme and am currently using the Autumn theme I uploaded from here.

The HTML editor shows once and then disappears. When I clear the cache it will display again but then vanish and replaced by a text box. I checked all the suggestions on here and also looked at the themes. What would cause the editor to display once and then not again? Also, only when I clear the cache of the browser?

Any suggestions?

p.s. I just saved this and went back to edit and the HTML editor shows on this site again without clearing the cache, using the same web browser.

Thank you,
Deon Metelski

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deon Metelski

Re: HTML Editor not showing and cache issue

by John Garrett -
I also run 1.8.2 on godaddy ... use FF and IE on XP PCs ... latest versions of everything ...

And my problem sounds very similar ... I see the html editor every other time I try to use it ... so, if I need to add a resource and I get the text box vs. the html editor, I hit 'back' and select it again and get the html editor ...

This does get old after a while but it's the only resolution I've come up with ...

I run the same code and (as much as possible) the same config on my development server and the html editor works flawlessly ... move it up to godaddy and I get the odd "every other time" behavior ...
In reply to John Garrett

by Sean Petrozzino -
I'm having this same problem. Did you ever find a solution?
In reply to Sean Petrozzino

by John Garrett -
Not really ... I'm somewhat convinced that it's a configuration problem on the server ... but, as with any ISP, altering server configurations is an "iffy" thing and takes time ... maybe one of these days I'll open a ticket with godaddy and see if they can help ...

Here my "temporary" solution which is acceptable to me in the short term ... when I open the html editor and it doesn't have its funky icons across the top, I press ctrl-f5 which flushes/reloads the page on the server ...
In reply to John Garrett

by TPU TPU -

Same problem here with Moodle 1.9 on GoDaddy.

Has anyone found a permanent fix?

due to mention though that HTML editor doesn't show at all at first (not just dissapears) but appears on Refresh. And it seems to be only a IE bug, Firefox shows everything neat.

Thank you smile

Natalia

In reply to TPU TPU

by John Fitchett -

Me too! I have the same problem... I have tried everything I can think of....

Html editor and pics don't show unless cache is cleared - but even then they only show on the first time the page is opened... on refresh they disappear again...

Have sent a ticket to Godaddy support, but I am not finding them helpful....

can anyone help?

In reply to John Fitchett

by John Fitchett -

Godaddy has replied. I sent this message:

When I or my course members go to a page with the html editor on it (such as is displayed after clicking 'reply' to a post on the forum) and then refresh the page the editor does not reloaded.

The editor appears to load the first time the page is encountered, but thereafter it is not displayed unless the cache is cleared or the page is reloaded with ctrl+F5.

In addition pics (such as jpgs do not display as well.)

This problem cannot be my browser or something on my machine as my members also have the same problem. Please help!

Reply from Godaddy:

I was able to duplicate this behavior in the Firefox web browser only. When I tested the functionality of the edit box in Internet Explorer 7, Internet Explorer 6 and IE Tab within Firefox, the editing toolbar remained in all cases, no matter how many times I refreshed the page.

The editing toolbar on that interface appears to be one generated by JavaScript coding, which is rendered solely by the browser viewing the page and is not dependent on server settings. This is also indicated to be a JavaScript related issue, as your screen shot shows the Error on Page warning in the lower-left corner of the browser window when the toolbar has failed to load, but not in the screen shot in which the toolbar loads without issue. That Error on Page indicator means that there was a JavaScript related error on the page or when loading the page. There is nothing on our hosting that would cause this behavior. This is going to be something related specifically to the Moodle application and the editing interface that it is using. You may wish to contact Moodle support for further assistance.

Can anyone help? How can I get the html editor working consistently?