migrate moodle to another LAMP server

migrate moodle to another LAMP server

by Eli Komi SODOKE -
Number of replies: 1
Dear All,

We are using a moodle 1.5.3 on a LAMP Server. Now, we would like to move our moodle site to another LAMP server. Because we developp addons, we would like to keep the same version (script, databases and moodledata). So juts to migrate our whole moodle in another server. I proceed this way :

1. Dum the content of the current moodle database into the new one database.
2. Copy the whole moodle folder on the new server.
3.Change the content of the config.php according to the new server parameters.

When I go to the new moodle URL, it displays the front page and the content well. But, but when I try to login, it's not working. In addition, the page description (meta), contains the information about the previous installation.

Tks for any help.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eli Komi SODOKE

Re: migrate moodle to another LAMP server

by Julian Ridden -
I have done this many times and it is really as simple as you described. Two additional things though.

1. Did you also bring across the moodledata directory and reset it's directory permissions?

2. I usually open up the sql export in a text editor to do a 'find and replace' of the url. Moodle hardcodes links to images in posts and such, so these need to be updated to whatever your new url on the new server will be. Won't stop things working if not done, but will get rid of broken images yo would typically get after the move.

JR