MoodleID cookie missing!

MoodleID cookie missing!

by John Gone -
Number of replies: 5
Hello Everybody, I know this is trivial. Everything else with my Moodle install works fine. The "Login" procedure at my website is erratic when using a Mozilla 1.0.2 browser.
Symptoms: When I login to Moodle.org with Mozilla Moodle sets a "MoodleID" cookie. When I login to mysite.com my Moodle install never sets this cookie. I also don't see my "Login" link change to "Logout" although I am properly logged in. Also, if I skip the "Login" link and try to access the course directly I am sent to the login page of course but after completing the login I am NOT returned to the course but back to the home page (index.php). I have done my config.php properly I think. So, am I seeing a sessions handling problem at the server or am I missing something obvious? This login runaround could be confusing to site visitors and I would like to correct this. By the way, IE5 handles everything on mysite.com with no problems.
Mozilla browser to visit Moodle.org- no problem
Mozilla browser to visit mysite.com- small problem
Any ideas? Thanks in advance, John
Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Gone

Re: MoodleID cookie missing!

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Is it possible you've accidentally set Mozilla to not accept cookies from your site? See the "Cookie Manager" in the Tools menu.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by John Gone -
Hello Martin, unfortunately that isn't the problem. Good thinking though! I don't know what it could be as everything at your site seems to behave as expected and my site gives me the run around. I've tried all I can think of when comparing the two sites with Mozilla (always clear cache and cookies etc.) but can not get my site to act like yours. Someday though, someday. Mozilla is the best and fastest browser, but, in this area, unfortunately, IE takes it. Same settings IE5 works fine but Mozilla doesn't, dunno?
Thanks for the speedy reply,
John
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by John Gone -
Hello All, You were on the right track Martin. Gave cookie handling more permission and now login link changes as expected. Unfortunately I still don't set a "MoodleID" cookie as your site does. Is this why I get sent back to the home page after I login. Following is the sequence of events taking place at my Moodle site using Mozilla or IE5.
  1. Arrive at home page
  2. Click on course link
  3. Sent to login page
  4. login takes place
  5. Message received: Must specify course id or short name --> Continue
  6. Click "continue" link
  7. Sent back to home page to enter course

At your site, with IE5 or Mozilla, a "MoodleID" cookie is set and visitor is sent to the page requested with no runaround. Is it possible this difference between the actions of your site compared to mine is related to the missing "MoodleID" cookie when visiting my site? Can anybody point me in the right direction? I would like to solve this so as to write this into my site documentation for users.
Hoping someone can help, John