Survey results tracking in SCORM module

Survey results tracking in SCORM module

by Cyrelle Gerson -
Number of replies: 6
Using Lectora v 2007 and Moodle 1.8, SCORM 1.2

I have created a SCORM module and successfully published it in my Moodle test system.

The module includes a survey questionnaire and a one question test. The survey questionnaire includes multiple answer-multiple choice questions, short answer questions, and single-answer multiple choice questions.

When I try out the course and answer all of the questions, not all of the answers show up in the Moodle tracking. I took a look at the underlying MySQL table where results are recorded and found that the multiple-answer questions are not tracked at all, if more than one answer is checked.

I have just started working on putting the course into Lectora. There will be more tests.

Is this a Moodle issue, a SCORM issue, or something else? I would like to include additional tests in this module that have multiple answer questions and I need to be able to keep track of everything that a learner checks.

In addition, the client will be using a different LMS from Moodle. Is it possible that the tracking behavior in another LMS will differ from Moodle, even though it is also SCORM compliant?

Thanks.

Cyrelle
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Cyrelle Gerson

Re: Survey results tracking in SCORM module

by Rod Ward -

Cyrelle,

I think you will find that most people that have used SCORM and 'SCORM-compliant' systems of any flavour will tell you that it's never quite as simple as it is claimed to be.

I can tell you that Moodle can definitely report SCORM data, but that sometimes you have to play with the settings in your editing tool, and/or in Moodle, to get everything playing nicely.

Before faulting either Moodle or Lectora I would first check that your multiple answer questions are definitely set up to report their answers along with the other ones in the lesson. (In my tool of choice, Captivate, you have to tick a box on each question to make it report answers. Does Lectora have anything similar perhaps?)

Your issue could also be something to do with the way that your Lectora-created SCORM package tries to communicate with Moodle's SCORM API. This communication is usually handled via Javascript.  There are several ways to configure the Javascript to work better with a given LMS. (The Moodle forums have some topics on this. Search for anything mentioning the SCORM API.) However, this usually means that the SCORM does or doesn't report, rather than that it fails to report a single type of question.

Sadly, the fact that a SCORM works perfectly with one LMS does not guarantee that it will do so with another. And on a happier note, the fact that it fails to work with one you choose, is also no guarantee it won't work with the one your client wants to use.

Welcome to the SCORM 'standard'. It's not quite as foolproof as we would all like...at least not just yet.

In reply to Rod Ward

by acu paul -
and/or in Moodle

what do you mean by this? i thought moodle simply reports all the recorded data.
In reply to acu paul

by Cyrelle Gerson -
If only it were as simple as Moodle recording all of the data. In my SCORM 1.2 course, Moodle is not recording the student response to multiple choice questions that have multiple answers. If only one choice is checked, Moodle records the answer. But if multiple answers are checked (which is needed to have a correct answer to some questions), Moodle does not record any student response.

I am going to test out the Articulate Quizmaker tool to see if Moodle captures multiple responses from its tests.

I have concluded that it is not terribly worthwhile to troubleshoot this too much in Moodle, since the client is using another LMS and I may end up jumping through hoops to get the tests to work correctly in the other system.

Thank you for your replies.

Cyrelle
In reply to acu paul

by Rod Ward -
Moodle CAN report the data from a SCORM package, but whether it WILL or not in practice depends on a number of factors.  The fault is not necessarily with Moodle. The manufacturers of the tools that create SCORM packages seem to all implement the standard slightly differently, and this leads to issues here and there. Which is why my post had cautioned against expecting everything to just work simply because you were using SCORM.
In reply to Cyrelle Gerson

by Christian Bokhove -
We had the same problem when using math applets in SCORM packages. I wanted to see all the in between results students gave in. Instead of reprogramming the applets so they would generate a incomprehensible suspendstate, I hacked the SCORM module by adding a $u user variable which made it possible to launch the module "as the student left it". I've been wondering why noone ever wanted this, I think it would serve your purpose...
In reply to Christian Bokhove

Tárgy: Re: Survey results tracking in SCORM module

by Deni Nagy -
Hello,

I have the same problem as the abovementioned. The scores collected in SCORM package composed in eXe Learning doesn't appear in the Gradebook (they are always 0). The points of Hot Potatoes made SCORM package appears incorrectly (100 even if I set max points to 14, it creates a 718% result!).

I use Moodle 1.6.3 backported version to Ubuntu but also tried 1.8.2 and got the same results.

I had tried many settings in both eXe and Moodle but nothing changed. I'm not familiar with scriptwriting...
Could you please explain how to add that "$u user variable which made it possible to launch the module "as the student left it""?

Thanks in advance!
Deni