Writing commentaries on essays and then leaving the essays for students to access on moodle course site

Writing commentaries on essays and then leaving the essays for students to access on moodle course site

by Warren Linds -
Number of replies: 8
My students are uploading assignments to the moodle site for my course. I want to be able to, using word's track changes function, upload their marked assignments (with my comments on the essay) to the moodle site so each student can access the marked essay. Is that possible? Right now I have to separately email the assignment from my personal email account as my university server will not accept attachments (very cumbersome). Your advice most appreciated.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Warren Linds

Re: Writing commentaries on essays and then leaving the essays for students to access on moodle course site

by John Isner -
In Moodle 1.7 and beyond, you can use the "Advanced uploading of files" type of Assignment. The student clicks the Assignment and uploads a document -- say a Word doc. You download it and mark it up (for example, using Word's 'reviewing' toolbar). Then you upload your marked up version back to the Assignment. The Student can then download your marked up version and submit a second draft. This can go on for several cycles or until the student marks a submission as final.
In reply to John Isner

Re: Writing commentaries on essays and then leaving the essays for students to access on moodle course site

by Warren Linds -
Does the original stay on the assignment submitted website?

I don't want to use this as a way to do drafts back and forth. I just want to use it as a way to get the marked document (using track changes in Word, right?) back to the student in an easy way.

It sounds like this will do this. Am I right?
In reply to Warren Linds

by John Isner -
It is up to you how to use it.

It is important to understand that the original document submitted by the student is never changed. The teacher's feedback would be included in a new document which is a copy of the original document. I haven't used "track changes" but I'm sure you can do it.
In reply to John Isner

by andrew nokes -

Hi John,

Once you have marked the Word document, how do you upload it back to the assignment?  I cant seem to find anywhere that will let me upload it back to the same area.

Thanks

Andrew Nokes

In reply to andrew nokes

by John Isner -
This feature is only available in the "Advanced uploading of files" type of Assignment. Are you sure you are using that type of Assignment?
Attachment Activity_menu_showing_Advanced_Uploading_of_Files.png
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John Isner

by andrew nokes -

Hi John.  Yes, this is 'Advanced Upload'.  My student has uploaded his assignment as shown below.  I have saved this to my desktop and made the relevant changes.  I now need to upload this back to the assignment on the VLE, but still cant seem to find how to do this.

In reply to andrew nokes

by John Isner -
Andrew,
We can't see the image because you're linking to a file on your hard drive. You should only use the Insert image button on the editor toolbar if the image exists in a public place on the Web. Otherwise, upload the image using the Attachment/Browse button just below the editor. Try again?
In reply to Warren Linds

by Jit San Chia -

Hi,

One simple way is to create a directory ("marked assignments", for example) in your course files area. Upload all your marked assignments to that directory, then open it up to students using the "Display a directory" option in "Add a resource..."

Of course, this method assumes that you don't mind students reading the marked work of their peers. I feel this is a good way of learning too.