more user attributes from ldap (jpegphoto)

more user attributes from ldap (jpegphoto)

by Tamás Éliás -
Number of replies: 3
Hy all! I have successfully set up a moodle installation with ldap. I have only one question.

When a user authenticate I can tell moodle to get some data from the ldap itself. For example: surname, email address, etc. But how can I tell it, to use other attributes? We have our users photos in ldap (jpegphoto attribute), and pager data too. When a user arrives it is told to fill in his profile. But this would not needed because all needed data are already in the ldap.

Can I tell moodle to get other profil data form other ldap attributes?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tamás Éliás

Re: more user attributes from ldap (jpegphoto)

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

When a user arrives it is told to fill in his profile.

This just happens if any of the required fields is empty. If I remember it right they are: username, first name, surname, email, city, country and description. As long as you map something into those fields form your LDAP server, your users will never be told to fill the profile in.

As to the photographs, as far as I know there is currently no way to retrieve them from LDAP, although I seem to remeber some discussions on this forum about this (with even some patches proposed, but I'm not really sure about this).

Saludos. Iñaki.

In reply to Tamás Éliás

by Alexander Schaber -
I've written a small bash skript in order to automate this for the time being.

It worked for my 1050 Users in just over 23 seconds.
I must admit that the resizing is still a bit different from the way moodle modifies pictures upon upload, but that's tweaking and playing with ImageMagick..

Also please note that this ONLY WORKS!! if you have set the idnumber of your users to their dn!!
If your LDAP requires authentification you'll have to modify the ldapsearch line.

In reply to Alexander Schaber

by Mario Gharib -

Dear Alexander,

Is there a possible way with Moodle 2.9 to retrieve all users' photos from LDAP server?

Thanks in advnaced

Mario Gharib

E-learning Developer