No editor in forum description screen

No editor in forum description screen

by Tim Allen -
Number of replies: 2

Hi moodlers,  smile 

I like to give detailed instructions in the forum description screen to guide students as to what they should do.  However, the html editor is not available in this screen, which leads me to resort to either typing in html code or typing in a forum post and then copying the html code into the forum description screen.  sad

Without these pains I can't format my text.  This takes a lot of extra time and I would really appreciate it if the editor was available in this screen. 

Please, have I missed this or have others come across this issue?  Is there a chance that this might be implemented (as the editor is available in so many other locations)?

Thanks in advance. 

Tim.

Attachment forum_nohtmled.PNG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Allen

Re: No editor in forum description screen

by Bryan Williams -

I don't think you have missed anything, it's just nobody has made an issue of this before.  With most modules the new activity is given a description in the same manner.  For more detailed explanation (e.g. how-to or whatever) why not create a separate activity with the explanation. The description fields I think are designed for the most basic introduction.

In reply to Bryan Williams

Re: No editor in forum description screen

by Tim Allen -

Ok, thanks for that explanation Bryan.  smile  I can see now that this is by design. 

However, I wonder what people think about my suggestion - it seems much more intuitive to put detailed instructions on the same page as the particular activity.  I could create a separate html resource and link to it, but this is a little more work, and students are less likely to read a link (I am in a process of re-educating my students to use English homepages.  They seem to "switch off" when they see English and don't explore links etc.).

Two examples are attached below.

Examples

I think moodle is so wonderful and am just wondering what others think.  I thank everyone for their work on this superb resource!