Using the Course ID number in Enrollment

Using the Course ID number in Enrollment

by Max Wild -
Number of replies: 2
In 1.8 Course ID number does not need to be unique. When we try to enroll students automatically from our MIS we find that students are only enrolled on the first course in the moodle database, second and subsequent courses with the same Course ID number are ignored and enrollment does not take place.
This seems to be a bug or are we missing something? It would be useful if it worked for automatic enrollment as it does manually.
Maxwell Wild
Manchester High School for Girls
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Max Wild

Re: Using the Course ID number in Enrollment

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
If you want enrolment plugins to work, course.idnumber must be unique (where it is not blank).

I think the only reason it is allowed to be non-unique is that courses are allowed to leave it blank.
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Using the Course ID number in Enrollment

by Max Wild -
I understand but I think that I have not explained well enough how it would be an advantage.
In the context of an 11 - 18 school we have some subjects eg Maths at 6th form level that have created a number of component Moodle Courses (eg Statistics, Mechanics etc) for a single subject set of students.
At the moment we 'get around' this by creating a parent course and enrolling the students on that and then creating child courses for the component courses. This would be fine if it was only the students that are enrolled but the teachers are enrolled as well - more flexibility is needed on the enrollment of teachers.
I suppose the other approach would be a mechanism to restrict enrollment to students only.
Thanks for taking the time on this issue
Regards
Maxwell Wild
Manchester High School for Girls