How to protect lesson content from cut/copy & paste

How to protect lesson content from cut/copy & paste

K.James Mathai - келді
Number of replies: 13

Is there is any way to secure/protect the  lesson material from cut/copy & paste by its user.

thanks

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to K.James Mathai

Re: How to protect lesson content from cut/copy & paste

Chris Collman - келді
Documentation writers қатысушының суреті
Hi,
This is a good question in the context of other Moodle activities as well (I was thinking of Quiz). I assume you want to disable the copy function, so for example students will not be able to copy a question in a Lesson (or anything else in Moodle) , paste it to a document in another window to share with others. I can think of a few other methods of reaching this student outcome.

Rendering part of all of your lesson content as a Flash file would stop the cut and paste. Some experienced Moodlers might have other solutions.

I believe that students and new users might be viewed as inventive, because they stumble into things that the developers never imagined and initial testers did not find. It is also possible that more curious students may decide to learn more about Moodle. Thus I don't know if I want to reduce their learning curve with examples, in what maybe a sensitive subject area for some sites.

This is the second post in a row that is about this subject. See disabling the back browser button.

Best - Chris

In reply to Chris Collman

Marcus Green - келді
Core developers қатысушының суреті Particularly helpful Moodlers қатысушының суреті Plugin developers қатысушының суреті Testers қатысушының суреті

This is a perennial question that is discussed frequently and at length. If you put content on a web page it can be copied. If you render it as flash it can be copied. It doesn't require a student to be smart, just to be able to ask "how do I do this" or to perform a google search.

Attempting to prevent copying is to usea technical solution for a human problem. Disabling the back button is breaking a user interface convention that has been learnt by more people than any other interface in computer history. Its a good interface, it is understood, don't break it.

My web experience goes back to before there was a graphical web at all, treasure the beauty of the underlying invention.

In reply to Marcus Green

Chris Collman - келді
Ditto. All we can do is try to keep the honest people honest. Thanks for the "human problem" perspective.

For example, our asynchronous courses have different outcome standards. For 4 hours of Continuing Education Credit, we make the cost benefit of time spent by finding a short cut stacked against the innovative student. And the potential cheating students understand the honor code, which can cost them their professional certification, which is not worth 4 CEUs risk.

However our certification tests are done on our equipment, synchronously, using a Moodle on our internal lan and of course have a live proctor at every site. In addition to the honor code of course.

CP/M days were fun, don't you sort of miss good old WordStar?

K.James Mathai - келді
Yes disabling copy/cut and paste button will help in protecting the course material but this would again disable user to copy paste material that would be required for learning purposes.But still I think at least when the learner is in the lesson or powerpoint provided by the teacher the lesson should be protected and through some script should be revoked when working with other learning event. I do not know the solution but an experienced moodler can provide a answer to it.

K.James Mathai - келді
The Moodle-docs is also protected from copy/cut and paste. This feacture should be there in lesson.

Joseph Rézeau - келді
Core developers қатысушының суреті Particularly helpful Moodlers қатысушының суреті Plugin developers қатысушының суреті Testers қатысушының суреті Translators қатысушының суреті
> The Moodle-docs is also protected from copy/cut and paste.

No it isn't. See below... May I insist with the others who have already answered your query that wanting to prevent cut and paste in HTML pages is an illusion and a waste of time.wink

Joseph

Course homepage

From MoodleDocs

(Redirected from course/view)

A new course entered for the first time will be mostly blank. Course templates have block areas on the left and right sides, with course Activity modules and Resources grouped by sections to fit your needs.

Generally speaking, the first or top section is not numbered and was designed for general information and to contain activities and resources useful during the course. Most courses will have at least one additional section.

The view of your course homepage depends on which block areas you choose to appear using the Blocks field. All of the blocks can be shifted around according to one's liking, due to which the view of the course homepage may differ.

Chris Collman - келді
Hi James,
Perhaps I misunderstand exactly what you are saying. I would say "Moodle-docs is not protected from copy/cut and paste". My confusion maybe in if we are talking about taking something from MoodleDocs (or any other web based program) or adding something to MoodleDocs.

Simplely put, the user has to have the right permissions (roles) in a context (Course, Lesson, MoodleDocs) to be able to edit it. This would include a paste. If a user can see the context, then they probably can copy what they see. Where they can paste, depends where they have permissions to edit.

The only place I think a student can paste somethings into a lesson, would be in certain types of Lesson questions. Those would be a short answer, numeric or essay questions. If users are able to change the content of a lesson page, then they are not in the role of a student (my opinion). Thus I would be checking the permissions that have been assigned to a student role on my Moodle site or if the user was assigned the wrong role in a course by mistake.
I apologize for repeating things that you and others have gone over and know. It is possible that your site or course has an unusual setup and this is causing you some issues. Or it could be me.

Best - Chris

Suyash Katyayani - келді
Why cant we use some javascript functions to prevent mouse dragging and right click ?
In reply to Suyash Katyayani

Joseph Rézeau - келді
Core developers қатысушының суреті Particularly helpful Moodlers қатысушының суреті Plugin developers қатысушының суреті Testers қатысушының суреті Translators қатысушының суреті

Why cant we use some javascript functions to prevent mouse dragging and right click ?

Because depriving the end-user (student) of some of the basic features of their web browser in the hope of preventing cheating is a complete illusion. The real solution is to educate your students.wink

Marcus Green - келді
Core developers қатысушының суреті Particularly helpful Moodlers қатысушының суреті Plugin developers қатысушының суреті Testers қатысушының суреті
The idea of attempting to prevent students from copy and pasting web content has been discussed extensively and exhaustively in these forums for many years and there is a very broad consensus that it cannot be reliably or usefully done. This is nothing to do with Moodle it is the nature of computers and the web. If students are determined to make copies of content they will and there is nothing you can do to stop them apart from actually watching them and telling them to stop when they attempt to.
In reply to Marcus Green

Dewi Jones - келді
Although I agree with all the comments on inegrity and teaching students encourage not cheating etc. In the real world we all like to blag a bit to make our live a little easier.

Although you can't and shouldn't be able to disable copy and paste on the web on the parts you do not want students to copy/paste simply create an image (.jpg /.png etc) and add that to your Moodle course. They can read it from screen but can't copy and paste text inorder to reconstuct information e.g summarise some text...!

Just an idea smile