Is this for very small users?

Is this for very small users?

by Bob Gerth -
Number of replies: 2

I volunteer with a nonprofit (a micro-lending organization) which, I think, could benefit by adding training online.

Is Moodle etc. way too much? too complicated for my needs? If so is there something more elementary to do a similar job?

This nonprofit has a bunch of equipment but no regular technical support peopl;e on staff. I am trying to evaluate using Moodle, PHP, MySQL, etc. to develop a simple course to use for training would-be small business owners. At present they offer a series of evening courses, progress is difficult to monitor, attendance is less than 100% due to persona confilicts, etc. Also they offer this class in a number of remote locations, but would like to expand.

I have been around computers for over 40 years (I am 77 years old) and have some programming experience, but do not want to build a monster that requires constant feeding and attention. I would apreciate your commnets and suggestions.

Robert Gerth - Seattle

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bob Gerth

Re: Is this for very small users?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Sure, Bob. Just stick to the major releases - 1.3 should be out later this month. Using the standard modules in the major releases should be very stable. Lots of sites are still using Moodle versions from a year ago, and lots of these are small sites with one or two courses.

Most of the activity and bug fixing you see in here is discussing versions and parts of Moodle that are in-development or under discussion.
In reply to Bob Gerth

Re: Is this for very small users?

by Bryan Williams -

Robert,

If this is a registered non-profit, I'll make you an offer you can't refuse.  I will host your organizations intial few classes to see if users respond.  Moodle is not "way to much... etc." and is ideal in circumstances ranging from a small organization with a few courses, to large universities with hundreds of courses. I can set you up as the administrator of this site, which will allow you to focus your talents on helping the staff develop course content and manage their learners. 

Good course content and teacher involvment is what makes any online learning venue work. If you have not had a chance to download and review the Moodle slideshow presentation to get familiar with basic features, and the excellent documetation produced by Matt Riordan, this would be a great place to start taking me up on the offer. Both of these files are located in the Moodle Documentation Project (Topic 4).

Let me know if I can help you,

Bryan

Bryan