Total time spent

Total time spent

by Mohd Ehtesham -
Number of replies: 11
Hi everybody,

Can we pull out the "Total time spent" by the individual user on the moodle in a due course of time.

Regards
Ehtesham
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mohd Ehtesham

Re: Total time spent

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Not really, because the concept doesn't make sense and is bound to be inaccurate and misused. (We've discussed this topic many times before in these forums).

Most LMSes that do show numbers like this will assume each hit means 1 minute of "time spent" or something like that. What does "spending time" on a web site mean to you?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Mohd Ehtesham -
Thanks for the reply,
Actually in our organization we have some credit system which can be assigned on the basis of time spent on the system.
Other logic is that user can have a feeling of gaining some credit through taking up course in moodle site this will promote the usage.
To avoid any misuse to some extent we can generate the proportion of grades and time spent on the system.

If this sounds relevant plz guide me to have this feature on the moodle or if we can extract this information through database in the form of stored procedure or any other way...........

Regards

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
When "forced" to do this sort of work for clients (see the current certificate module code), we use the log files and the site's defined "inactive logout" time to approximate the time spent in a course. Its a similar algorithm used by web site log analyzers, and is at best an approximation. Basically, it creates a "session" based on time between measurable events. If the time between events ever exceeds the configured session time-out, that time is disregarded.

At best, this gives you an approximation of time logged in, which seems to be enough for the people who require this sort of thing.

mike
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mike Churchward

by Mohd Ehtesham -
Thanks mike,

This is really great this is what I am looking for, As I am very new to the PHP coding, can you please help me how I can use this type of code in order to know how much time a particular user has spent time on the system in various courses and activities.

Regards

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Mohd,
as Martin pointed it is very sensible to use that kind of estimation for grading.

Here are some links on Moodle of some discussions or samples not implemented in Moodle core ( you will have to program these yourself sad ) :

The current version I use ( Moodle 1.6.1 ) :

An older version :

A sample of the code for doing it in an old Moodle version :

A typical discussion about it vith some funny part:

After a few years of using it, it may be used as a predictor of success/failure of students: I a course with sufficients activities, after 2 or 3 weeks it is possible, by comparing relative time/activities of students vs groups to identyfy and to help students with high risks of echec.

I have started to do some correlation with the final score and the cumul of these activities to see if a combinaison of cumulated score/validation/activities/time may be used to do so. But I need to fine tune it and also to refresh myself thoughtful about statistics to get more probant results.

Another usage of these kinds of numbers is to give to the teacher a feedback of the time required by a student or a group to do a certain activity: if the activity don't require the teacher allocated time then some action may be done.

At the end of a course the teacher can compare the total allocated time of the course ( in laboratory and personnal time ) to see if it respect the time of the curriculum for most of the students.

I hope it may help,

Bernard

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Bernard Boucher

by Mohd Ehtesham -
Thanks Bernard,

I was really search these sort of stuffs. I apologize I not too familiar with php, can you be more specific so that I can also get the total time spent by the individual user on the moodle site.
I have seen ur code for the /...../course/lib.php
I am using moodle latest stable version I don't whether it viable for this or not.

Please can you guide me in fixing this for the latest version.

Regards
Ehtesham

by Mohd Ehtesham -
Hi,

Can you please guide me how I can add the the "total spent time" column in the reports........

Regards

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Mohd,
I just noticed that you terminated your post with Ehtesham : Is your first name Mohd or Ehtesham, I don't want to call you by your last name!

For your request what version you prefer ? The actual that I use or the older one. Recheck my previous post to compare screenshots of these versions and let me know wich one you prefer and I will post the appropriate course/lib.php file.

I hope it may help,

Bernard

by Mohd Ehtesham -
Thanks Bernard,

Actually My name is 'Ehtesham' and 'Mohd' is my sur name. You can call me whatever you like:
I will prefer the latest one. I am using the latest version of moodle 1.8.2 hope it works for me.
My email id is - ehte786@gmail.com (if it is required).

Regards,
Ehtesham

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi FirstName ( Mohd I hopewink ),
here is a link to with a zip file containing the original moodle course/lib.php 1.6.1 and the one modified.

Two types of modifications appears: those for the time spent where all variables names ( I hope it is true ) start with ttime. These lines must be merged in your recent course/lib.php file at appropriates places.

Others modifications rely to Activity locking and use lock in the variable name. Theses lines should'nt be included in your new file.

Please don't test these on a production server!

Have a good debugging weekend,

Bernard

by Mohd Ehtesham -
Thanks Bernard,

I have downloaded the file and trying to edit the same, as I am using the latest version of moodle. Hope it works.........

Regards
Ehtesham