Course enrollment keys won't work

Course enrollment keys won't work

by Paul Conrad -
Number of replies: 26

Hello,

I have configured Course enrollment keys  for all of my classes, but when I try to enroll a "test" student, nothing happens. The keys are there, Moodle will give the correct "hint" but it won' allow the student to enroll . Any ideas????Paul

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Conrad

Re: Course enrollment keys won't work

by denis cahalane -
Check the other settings for the courses; are they enrollable? Are dates set within which enrolments are allowed?
In reply to denis cahalane

by Pádraic Ó Leanacháin -

My 'test student' can't get in to any rooms with the correct enrolment keys.

Settings I have tried:

- various default roles (guest, student, non-editing teacher)
- Enrolment plug-in: internal enrolment / course enrollment - yes / Duration - unlimited
- Available to students / Allow guests who have the key / no enrollment fee
- Do not force language

When students enter enrolment key and press return, the screen reloads and returns to the screen requesting the enrolment key.

The interesting thing here is that, to an administrator, it appears as though the student has entered the room. The student appears in the 'who's online' and 'participants' lists. The student, however, is still stuck at the enrolment page ...
Very strange indeed.

I have also tried various browsers and computers. Nothing works.
Has anyone else had this problem with these settings?

Maybe I should stay with 1.6. Is 1.1 still available?? wink

Cheers everyone.

In reply to Pádraic Ó Leanacháin

by Sherry Brown -
I've had this issue appear this week.

I had an enrollment key for guest login until all my students successfully logged in with their own account. I use manual enrollments (it's a one teacher site). To force kids to use their own account and not the guest account, I changed the key to something else. This was given to parents at Back to School Night.

Since then, my students cannot enter their courses. Even if they had successfully logged in with their account before I changed the key, they cannot get into the course. The screen just refreshes and asks for the key.

I tried all of the above. Next is creating a new course and seeing if the same thing happens. It's going to be a fun weekend.sad
In reply to Sherry Brown

by Pádraic Ó Leanacháin -

This enrolment thing is really weird.

I have created 10 courses on my site - all with the same settings - and all requiring an enrolment key.

My 'guest student' gets through to two of the course rooms with the key but with the other eight courses has the problem we've mentioned in previous forum entries.

It seems to be new feature in moodle: "Enrolment Key Lottery" - will it work or won't it??

In reply to Pádraic Ó Leanacháin

by Sherry Brown -
It's even worse... I removed the key and any other restrictions, logged in as a student no problem. When I tried to enter the course, I received the message to enroll in the course (yes/no). Clicking "yes," the page reloads as "do you want to enroll?"

I'm about to reinstall the site, I am so frustrated (and my students as well).
In reply to Sherry Brown

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Sorry to hear of so many people having a problem with enrolment keys.

Please could someone add a report in the tracker (see the tracker documentation if you've not done so before), providing as much detail as possible, especially the steps to reproduce the problem.

If a link to the bug report is then posted in this discussion, everyone else having the same problem can add further information to the tracker report to help the developers fix it as quickly as possible.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Sherry Brown -
Helen,

I just did so. See tracker item11520. I just realized that I should have rephrased the title to "Students cannot enter course" as it's more descriptive of the actual problem but can't I change that now? (I'm out the door after I type this... gotta run) Here's to hoping it can be fixed!

-- Sherry
In reply to Sherry Brown

by Joe Griffin -
Hi

I also have a similar problem with 1.7.1. (the tracker item refers to 1.8.2 version so don't know if I should add to that one?).

Anyway here's what I posted on General Problems forum

I'm having a strange enrolement problem.
When a student clicks on a course they are invited to enrole, with an enrolment if that is required. Then their enrolment is processed and the enrolement screen appears again. They do not see the course. When I log in as admin I see that they appear in the list of participants on the course but the students never gets to see their course. I've searched for answers on here but can't find any. I think I have all roles set OK. Any ideas? I'm using 1.7.1.

There is a further bit of odd behaviour.
When I log in as admin and look at the list of participants I see a number enroled students. But when I click on the student name link I get a message saying the student is not enrolled on this course. So why in one view do I see the student enrolled but in another view I get a message saying the student is not enroled. (This only happens with students.)

In reply to Sherry Brown

by Joe Griffin -
There's also a similar item I just found on tracker (great resource that) here
It was in response to the same/similar bug in 1.7.1 so maybe it might work for later versions. Anyway anybody with this problem should vote on tracker for this problem, it'll get it further up the list of issues being worked on.

Thanks to all of those who are working on resolving these problems.
In reply to Paul Conrad

by Dee Kramer -

Hi,

I am looking for an answer to this also.  Any suggestions?

In reply to Dee Kramer

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi,

Another thing you can check is whether the enrolment key (that you set) has a space after it. Try entering a new key.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Joe Griffin -
Hi Helen

The problem is the same whether or not an enrolment key is used. Moodle just keeps reverting to the log in screen.

First report on tracker in February this year for 1.7.1 and still has Unresolved status.

Joe
In reply to Paul Conrad

by Steffen Jelitto -
Same problem here. Any help?

Steffen
In reply to Steffen Jelitto

found solution

by Dee Kramer -

I found a solution that works for me.

Guest Access with Enrollment Key

Professor:

Scroll down to Enrolments:
Course enrollable:Yes

Go to settings: scroll down to Availability
Enrolment key:  create a password
Guest access: allow guests who have a key

Save Changes

Parents or Guest:

Using an Enrollment Key to access a course in a course management system.

Access your course management system 

How do I login?

Find the course name: click on it

A prompt will appear: “This course requires an enrollment key-a one-time password that you should have received from professor’s name.”

Use the password given to you by the professor.

Click: Enroll me in this course

In reply to Dee Kramer

Re: found solution

by Anne M -
How do the students get the enrolment key? Is it supposed to be sent to them automatically? What if it isn't?
In reply to Anne M

by Dee Kramer -

This is taken from the Help Menu.

"The idea is that you will supply the key to authorised people using another means like private email, snail mail, on the phone or even verbally in a face to face class.

If this password "gets out" and you have unwanted people enrolling, you can unenrol them (see their user profile page) and change this key. Any legitimate students who have already enrolled will not be affected, but the unwanted people won't be able to get back in."

In reply to Dee Kramer

by Jeff Wood -
Running clean install of 1.8.4 and working fine for a month and similar issue started last week.

* Guest can enter a course using the enrollment key (course set to allow guest who have the key)

* Students cannot enroll in a course with the key - page keeps displaying enter enrollment key.

* Students (some teachers) who are already enrolled (show as participants) are being asked for the enrollment key - but key loop prevents them from entering the course.

Jeff
In reply to Paul Conrad

by Anne M -
"My folks still can't get into the forum. They still get a page that says that it does not take Guest."

I also happen to know it should allow Guest access; I personally set it in the course settings. We are so frustrated at this!
In reply to Anne M

by Heather P -
Interesting!
I started a thread in the general problems forum which appears to be along similar issues as this, but I'm not using enrolment keys so maybe the lottery effect is nothing to do with enrolment keys, but is instead to do with the actual enrolment.
In reply to Heather P

by Joe Griffin -
Heather

Problem seems the same whether or not an enrol key is being used. Moodle jsut keep sreverting to the log in screen. Only way round this is to allow students extra permissions such as inspector.

Joe
In reply to Joe Griffin

by Luca Navone -
Hi Joe,
what do you mean for ""extra permissions such as inspector" ?
I didn't find any rule in student permission that match the name "inspector".
That of enrol key don't working is a very great problem that I cannot solve by myself...
In reply to Paul Conrad

by Jamie Tinley -
Solved! Here is the setup that worked for me: I know this is long but better than a short solution that does not explain it or other things to try.

1. Site level: users/permissions/user policies and changing default roles for:

All users: authenticated

Users in a course: Student (this was the kicker, without it, it returns them endlessly to key request but never lets them in. )

Note: My visitors and guests are both are set as guests

2. Site level: users/permissions/define roles Here, changing it will negate solution above which I had to change back for above settings to work.

Student: view course (set as default)

Guest: view course (set as default)

Authenticated user: Not Set. Keep it that way or all users above allows them to see all courses and does not ask for a key.

Course/settings

Default role: Student NOT authenticated user.

Enrollment key if desired,

My links/sources which you can also try if above does not work for you

discussion only:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=79744

*suggestion, 'Only way round this is to allow students extra permissions such as inspector' which no one figured out what he meant.

*check in course enrollments are allowed

*try changing course key [did not help]

*allow guests with a key [did not help me but worked for one]

tracker:

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-8379

*It seems that if you reload the mdl_role_capabilities table the whole enrolment process starts to work again fine, I have attached a default copy of said table, I hope this helps out a little.

[I never figured out what he meant or how to reload a role]

duplicate issue 2

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-8403;jsessionid=23929BD26F677F22E07B1E79E61FC240

*It sounds like defaultcourseroleid is set to guest. Go to Users -> Permissions -> User Policies and set it to student. That should fix your problem. [this got me thinking]

*It's working now after specifying "View Course" for both guests and students, so I don't think this is a bug. Howevever I don't understand why it should be necessary to specify this; it should be default. [already set by default unless you changed it - messed me up when I applied it to authenticated users]

duplicate issue 3

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-11520

*suggested allow guests in without key which I did not desire

If my solution does not work for you, try using excel and use each of the variables below going down and then what values you choose for each scenario. Write what effect you see and change just one at a time. This helped me solve the problem and reproduce it to be sure.

Effect notes at top of each column

site default role user

site default role for students in a in course

site define student role able to view courses

site define guest role to view courses

site define authenticated user to view courses

Course default role

Enrollment key required

allow guests in

Good Luck

In reply to Jamie Tinley

by Gordon McLeod -

Just encountered exactly the same issue after we upgraded to 1.97 this week.

One of our participants on a PG teaching course cannot access a sample course developed by another student (teacher) - every time the correct enrolment key is entered the page refreshes back to enter the enrolment key - enter the wrong key and it prompts a reminder. Other course participants have successfully used the key.

RE Jamie's solution - I thought the point of setting default to "authenticated user" instead of student was to "ensure that all users have capabilities that are not assignable at the course level (eg post blog entries, manage own calendar, etc)."

Does that mean that assigning everyone default "student" role still allows these capabilities at site level - in which case why complicate things with an authenticated user role as well?

In reply to Jamie Tinley

by Gordon McLeod -

Just encountered exactly the same issue after we upgraded to 1.97 this week.

One of our participants on a PG teaching course cannot access a sample course developed by another student (teacher) - every time the correct enrolment key is entered the page refreshes back to enter the enrolment key - enter the wrong key and it prompts a reminder. Other course participants have successfully used the key.

RE Jamie's solution - I thought the point of setting default to "authenticated user" instead of student was to "ensure that all users have capabilities that are not assignable at the course level (eg post blog entries, manage own calendar, etc)."

Does that mean that assigning everyone default "student" role still allows these capabilities at site level - in which case why complicate things with an authenticated user role as well?

In reply to Gordon McLeod

by Patrick Lyne -

I have the same problem in 1.9.7 - Students are set up on the course and we want to allow Guest access.  I have got it working by making the course enrollable and allowing guest access without a key but requiring an enrollment key it is not ideal as any signed on user has guest access to the course.