How to- Invisible until Submit?

This forum post has been removed

Number of replies: 8
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

Re: How to- Invisible until Submit?

by Ray Lawrence -
Have you seen the Q &A forum format?
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Claudia Scholz -
My students tell me that they are able to see each other's posts when I use this forum format. The format only keeps them from seeing replies to forum posts. Q&A assumes that the question is in a forum post, and that answers are replies to that post. If a student posts a new thread, it will be visible to everyone.
In reply to Claudia Scholz

by Bruce Long -

Claudia,

I'm very much a novice with the "roles" functionality, but I believe that if you override the student role that allows them to start new discussions (change it to prevent), it ought to make it so students can only respond to the instructor's question. Of course it also means that if you have standard discussions (rather than Q and A) in the course, that students would no longer be able to post. I think it will only affect the one course.

I hesitate to post this, because of my inexperience with roles. Maybe someone who understands roles better can verify what I am saying or suggest a better option. At the very least you should experiment with it on a test server first.

Bruce

In reply to Deleted user

by Bruce Long -

Hello Tobias,

If I understand what you are wanting to do, then the "Q and A" type forum is what you need. The help file on this type forum says:

Q And A Forum - The Q & A forum requires students to post their perspectives before viewing other students' postings. After the initial posting, students can view and respond to others' postings. This feature allows equal initial posting opportunity among all students, thus encouraging original and independent thinking.

Just click on the dropdown arrow beside "Forum type" on the update forum page and choose the Q and A Forum. I believe this type goes back at least to Moodle 1.6.

Bruce

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Bruce Long

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Bruce Long

by Joan Codina Filba -
I have a subtle problem, I want the Q & A to be done using separate groups, as I don't want all students in the same debate, is difficult not repeat what the others have already said.

But if I enter as student I can not answer the teacher's post.
I'll se what the real students can do...

any Idea on how to do that. I want debates of no more than 5-6 students as then at the classroom we talk about the subject again.

Joan
In reply to Deleted user

by Rob Johnson -
Hi Tobias,
The Q and A forum will do what you want. I did find that students quickly figure out that if they save their response after only typing a few words, they were then able to see all other posts from other students. These students would then "edit" their submission with the other responses available. This may be something that you keep in mind.

Rob
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rob Johnson

by Bruce Long -

You might be able to solve this "work-around" the students use by reducing or eliminating the editing time.

Bruce