Question on BackUp Archiving

Question on BackUp Archiving

by Dominic Martin -
Number of replies: 5

I know that using the backup feature is essentially the same as archiving but having never had to do a restore (and finding very little in the forums on archiving) I have a couple of questions.

1.    On a restore where does the backup come back to, some courses are reused and I wouldn’t want to automatically write over new course material with older backup material. Which leads me to my next point...

2.    Rather than having to restore archived material to view it, is it possible to view material outside of Moodle or at the very least outside of the Moodle iteration the content was generated on.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dominic Martin

Re: Question on BackUp Archiving

by Andy Tagliani -
Dominic

In this case, you should give instructions point 1 to the course teachers, the have to backup their courses manual. To point 2, not really, yes you can see the files if there any in the courses, other content is i think difficult to install it outside of moodle. Some informations are stored in the moodle.xml file.

One question, a backup is a copy of the moment, what information do you wanna safe when not the actual content? If you want save the course and content from the beginning, make a backup before users inside a course!

If you not backup the actual content of the course and something happend, you loosing all informations!

Andy
In reply to Andy Tagliani

by Dominic Martin -

Thanks for the advice.

The tutors who already do make backups of their course content (in case of loss) but would like to archive a whole years work content and course, keeping it so it can be reviewed possibly for an audit or future research.But they would still wish to use the same course for the following year.

So you have the problem that once the course and content are stored how do you view it at a later date. Your answer, that it can really only be viewed as a restored backup into moodle is what i thought but wasnt sure.

Thank you

How do others go about archiving backup material?

by Andy Tagliani -
Dominic

Your set "would like to archive a whole years work content and course"

In this case you must do a incremental backup, i will say, every day or at one day of the week a backup. Your server admin or support should take a script, that the backup files catch automatically and save them on a secure place outside of moodle and in the best way, save them on another server or backup server. He or you can (you must not do this) overwrite these files, so your on on a present state!

Once time at the end of the (school)year, take this backup file and save them in a long time archive, example on a tape or special backup server. So the teachers can if they needed restore this backupfile to create a new course with the old and or existing contents.

Andy

In reply to Andy Tagliani

by Dominic Martin -

Thanks for the advice. It is a shame there isnt some form of archive tool to make the process even easier. I will have to try taking a back up and then place it back to see how a refreshed course and content might look.

Thank you

by simon Tauff -
Digital Archiving -

We put photos, email, historical documents, video files, and other important resources into digital format, then organizing them effectively; you can make these items available to anyone with a Web browser. At any time, from anywhere – with no fear of damage.