creating a general forum for each role

creating a general forum for each role

by Carlos Merida Campos -
Number of replies: 1
Hi,
Context:

• Using a fresh install of the whole thing (1.8.2+ (yesterday's build)
  • Users all have the same default role: Authenticated user
  • Teachers have an assigned role of teacher to the courses they lecture
  • Students have a Student role when they enrol to a course
What I want to do:

Create 4 general forums accesible from the front page (non related to any specific course):
  • a: accessible to everybody editable by some admin (Site News)
  • b: full access to: everybody (from loged in user upwards)
  • c: full access to: just teachers (and admin)
  • d: full access to: just students (and admin)
I would like that just those who have the permisions to access the forum will see it, to those not permitted to access to it, it would be invisible

What I've done:
In the main menu I've created the forums:
  • a: site news forum (I don't touch anything)
  • b: I've overrided the guest role in the forum b, assigning prevent in all capabilities
  • c: I've assigned the Teacher role in the forum c to all the teachers. I've overrided the roles Student, Guest and Authenticated user assigning Prevent in all capabilities. I've overrided the roles Course Creator, Teacher and Non-editing teacher assigning Allow in all capabilities.
  • d: I've assigned the Student role in the forum d to all the students. I've overrided all the roles except Student, and Administrator assigning Prevent in all capabilities. I've overrided the role Student assigning Allow in all capabilities.

The problem:
  • Students and Teachers accessing to any of the 4 forums are prompted by:
"You do not have the permission to view discussions in this forumdo not have access to the general forum"

• Forums appear in the main menu instead of being hidden to those users that have no permision on them

The question:
What am I doing wrong? Should this work? Do I have a conceptual error in the way I have overriden roles? is there any way to hide activities? Please help me, I've lost a lot of time with this and I don't know which way to follow. Thanks.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Carlos Merida Campos

Re: creating a general forum for each role

by Carlos Merida Campos -
Hi,
Something was wrong in the last moodle snapshot I was using. I've reinstalled the whole thing and now it works. The only strange thing I've found is that permissions in the role of authenticated user override permissions in student or teacher role. I found that a bit strange, but I guess it is the way it is designed.

cheers,
carlos.