The string "Force" in moodle.php

The string "Force" in moodle.php

by Stig Bjarne Haugen -
Number of replies: 4

Is this string only connected to the action "force groups"? (Administration > Settings... in a course page). If so, I'd like to translate it more precisely in the norwegian translation. This might also be an issue to other translations?

In other words: Is this string used other places in the system? If I change it from "force" to "force groups", will I mess up anything else?

Sorry if this is in wrong forum.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stig Bjarne Haugen

Re: The string "Force" in moodle.php

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi, yes, I'm pretty sure it's only used on the Course Settings page.  However, it might be used for something else in future.   Is there no generic way of saying "force" in Norwegian?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Stig Bjarne Haugen -

Thanks; it is a word for "force" in norwegian, but I'm just worried about all users who don't understand everything as easy as you and me! wink I get the question "Force what?" even if it's placed next to the "group mode" field in settings...

That's why I'd like to change it to "Force groups" (the corresponding norwegian phrase) instead of only "Force". But if it might will be used other places later, I'll just leave it. (It's my job to answer those questions anyway... smile)

Generally I'd like most strings to be separated when they're used several places, 'cause then I can add a short explaing phrase to it. This doesn't work when they're used several places. This isn't critical anyway, it's just what I trouble my overloaded slow working brain with on (almost) the oppocite side of the world from you!big grincoolbig grin

In reply to Stig Bjarne Haugen

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes, it's a balance (from my point of view) between having individual strings for every single use, and reusing strings as much as possible (to save work on the translators).

The balance isn't always perfect but I'm learning a lot about linguistics from feedback such as yours!

In this particular case there is always the help icon for new users.  wink
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Peter Marklund -
From my experience internationalizing the UI of the .LRN toolkit I would advise extreme caution in the reuse of messages across different contexts. The fact that a phrase/word can be reused in english on a couple of different pages does by no means mean that this will be the case for all languages.