HTML Editor converts Zero-Width Space to Space

HTML Editor converts Zero-Width Space to Space

by Leang Chumsoben -
Number of replies: 4
Hello everyone,

In the HTML Editor, when I typed Khmer words with Zero Width Space (ZWSP) everything seems to work very well (I got the ZWSP), but after saving changes the ZWSP were changed to spaces.

I tried to work around the CSS and font settings but I got no luck. But if I disable the HTML editor, the resulting ZWSP will be shown as I typed. So I think this is the problem with the Editor.
1246916997_00557e4616_o.png
These are what I typed in the Editor.

1247771620_b5a160d386_o.png
After saving changes, all the ZWSP were changed to Space.

Please be noticed that, Khmer words are written one after the other, unless punctuation rules specify that they must be separated. Word processing programs, Internet browsers and other programs that format text need to know where they can cut a sentence in order to start a new line. In western languages that use the space to separate the words, this is not a problem, but in Khmer language all these programs do not know how to recognize the end of a word, and therefore a place were the line can be broken so that a new line can be started.

So anyone can give me some clue how can I get the HTML Editor works well with ZWSP?

Thank you,
Soben
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Leang Chumsoben

Re: HTML Editor converts Zero-Width Space to Space

by Leang Chumsoben -
After learning the Hexadecimal value of the string, I can confirm that Zero Width Spaces were really changed to Spaces.

Space: U20 (Decimal: 32)
ZWSP: U200B (Decimal: 8203)

by Leang Chumsoben -
Is there anyone reading this post? It would be great if someone, whose language uses ZWSP, can confirm this problem.

by Patrick Tansey -
It might be prudent to disable the HTML editor if that is occurring.
In reply to Patrick Tansey

by Leang Chumsoben -
It would not be a problem if I disable the HTML editor or use Tiny MCE editor. Zero-Width Space were shown correctly.

Since HTML editor is the default editor for Moodle (even 1.9), so it would be great if we can sort this problem out.

I'm looking forward for the suggestion or hint. Please everyone.