ie7 hangs - doesn't respond

This forum post has been removed

Number of replies: 16
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

Re: ie7 hangs - doesn't respond

by Andy Tagliani -
James

We (i) make the same experience, the ie7 hangs sometimes (with Control and F5 i can reload and it works, but this is not a solution who gives me any satisfaction), with the firefox or another gecko engine browser like k-meleon i have no problems. I check different configuration in the internet explorer and find no way to solve this problem!

I will not start a discussion James, but firefox and a security risk? I mean if you did tell me, internet explorer is a security risk, i think no one answer of this thread, but firefox is for me and not only for me, and in no point a security risk!

Andy
In reply to Andy Tagliani

In reply to Deleted user

by J m -
I know it sounds silly, but I have found with some applications that deleting the temporary files clears it up.
In reply to J m

by Andy Tagliani -
You mean on your own pc @J m? I did that too, but it is not really a solution who did work all the time. No i think, it is really a problem with the IE7, i mean i did not use this browsers, most i surf with a gecko browser.

Andy

In reply to Deleted user

by Andy Tagliani -
Dear James

I can understand you´re frustrated, what shell i tell you? I mean, in the first Moment i will say, i must not be a moodle problem. It can be, but then you must search for the error. It can be an error or miconfiguration of the server, here you must search too, to find a solution. It can be a problem, you are sitting (your connection) behind a firewall, a proxy etc. and here is the problem.

i cannot nor more say, search first for the browser configuration, if you not als pc expert is this point not a problem, catch anyone who is a pc expert, he should search for a solution. I´m sorry that i cannot help James, i would help, but i think the problem is outside from moodle and the one who can solve your problem, must stay in front of the pc! I hope and wish you can solve your problem!

Andy
In reply to Deleted user

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Hi James,

if you need help with searching the cause of IE freezing in your moodle you could send the address (and test username) of your site. One reason could be Ajax on, if your theme is Chameleon it should be set uneditable...I could check first your theme source code and if you have some special blocks (RSS or some non standard blocks) IE may have trouble to find some information and so on.

This problem could come from server or database settings too but without seeing your site and php info it is impossible to guess the reason. Does your moodle freeze more often if there are lots of users online? Have you tried other moodle sites with IE6 or IE7 - do they freeze as well?

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Andy Tagliani -
Mauno

I´m not James, but i allow me to answer your post. This has (thats my meaning) nothing to do with Ajax. I know 10-15 Moodle sites, different server, different themes, standard blocks, 3rd party block and believe me in this point, we are not fishing in the mist, the users i know have A L L problems with the ie, most ie7. I dont know how we can handle that problem, but what James publish in his posts, it must have another reason and not only the ie7, because this kind of trouble is outside a normal problem i think.

Andy

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Andy,

you may be right - most likely this comes from server, database or connection - but it really was not a joke, everything is possible in Windows and IE . I have seen some sites where Ajax caused many problems with IE (with or without smartpix). But it depends on server settings. If IE freezes it usually means that some script is not completed (server or database timeout or overloaded). Sometimes if you just paste content to editor from Outlook, Word, Excel,... or other MS programs without cleaning tags IE crashes for its own MS source code. For example:

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-8287
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=63175
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=69274

EDIT: One thing more - maybe IE crashes because you have too many windows/programs open at the same time and small amount of RAM in an old PC or number of windows open is limited in IE settings (to 3 for example, then 4th window will never open)???

by Andy Tagliani -
Hello Mauno

What i want say is/was, that we know het to setup a server and how to configure a browser, firefox abot:config etc.

The second what i will tell James, but it is only my meaning, the IE7 can IMO not be alone the problem. When the IE7 is the problem, they must have the problem not only in moodle. Sure they can be a misconfiguration, as an example they did not allow active scriting, java scripting and some other settings. If James not know how to setup a browser (sorry James i mean it only as example), one of the other user must know this (i think so).

Andy

In reply to Deleted user

by Andy Tagliani -
Mauno

Can you make a traceroute to the server from James, i have packet loss without end! Here the last 4 position of my mtr

74.40.4.154 - 38 | 8 | 5 | 187 | 196 | 203 | 187 |
208.111.192.226 - 72 | 8 | 2 | 234 | 234 | 234 | 234 |
74.212.44.14 - 86 | 8 | 1 | 157 | 157 | 157 | 157 |
No response from host - 100 | 8 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0

Loss, 38, 72, 86 and 100

Andy
In reply to Deleted user

by Mauno Korpelainen -

James,

the reason might be

jsMath.Autoload.Script has no properties
File: http://moodle.caiu.org/filter/jsmath/jsMath/plugins/autoload.js
Row: 114

I got this error with FF error console but IE crashes when you move between course page and front page and gives just the error that you can't see. Try to hide that filter (jsMath) if it helps. You have some blocks that might have some javascript causing this (those non standard blocks may work fine alone but if they use same variable names it may be critical...)

If hiding (or deleting) jsMath filter does not help try to hide or delete those non standard blocks (clock block etc) one by one.

...there are several tags

<span id="Process_jsMath"></span>

in your site source code but I can't see mathematics.

by Mauno Korpelainen -

...or a new guess: if you have sometimes had jsMath filter and have those tags <span id="Process_jsMath"></span> left without any jsMath code jsMath.Autoload.Script could be without properties and IE stops responding.

Another possibility is that IE has some problems with your clock block - it's loading data all the time from www.clocklink.com (flash file)