What's the submission trigger

What's the submission trigger

by Matt Lingard -
Number of replies: 2
I'm a hot potatoes newbie. I'm trying out the Hot potatoes module and wondering what's the trigger for Moodle to grade a Hot potatoes quiz. There is no submit button as with a Moodle quiz so i had assumed that 'check' would submit answers and that the quiz would be marked immediately or perhaps after the closing time.

However neither are occurring and all my quiz attempts appear as abandoned or In progress. I'm using 1.8.2 and have tried this with JQuiz & JCloze questions.

Am i missing something obvious??

thanks
Matt
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Lingard

Re: What's the submission trigger

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
> what's the trigger for Moodle to grade a Hot potatoes quiz

Any time the student clicks on a "Check", "Hint" or "Clue" button, the results so far are sent to Moodle and the scores are stored (in the "hotpot_attempts" table).

At the moment, the Moodle grades for HotPot activities are generated from the scores dynamically when they are needed. They are not stored in a separate table, as in some other modules, i.e. the standard Quiz module.

> all my quiz attempts appear as abandoned or In progress

That means that students are having trouble completing your HotPot activities. The status of an attempt at a HotPot activity will change to "completed" when the student has found all the correct answers. They don't have to get the correct answers first time. They are supposed to keep experimenting until they find the correct answers to all the questions.

> Am i missing something obvious?

Maybe you did not understand the point about a HotPot quiz not being marked as "completed" until all the correct answers have been found. Now you understand that, does the setting of the status to "in progress" and "abandoned" make more sense?

regards
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

Re: What's the submission trigger

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Matt,
I think I spoke to soon in my earlier post. It turns out there was a problem with the reporting of HotPot results in Moodle 1.8. I think I have fixed it.

Please could you download the following file (right click on the link) and upload it to the "mod/hotpot" folder on your Moodle site.
http://bateson.kanazawa-gu.ac.jp/moodle/18/ms/mod/hotpot/hotpot-full.js

I hope this fixes your problem. Please let us know smile

regards
Gordon