1.3 Beta Problems

1.3 Beta Problems

by Tranquil Earth -
Number of replies: 13

Hi,

I have just upgraded to 1.3 Beta, to have a bit of a look at it.

Each time I try to login I get the following screen up, sometimes it even bounces back to the login screen, can you please help?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tranquil Earth

Re: 1.3 Beta Problems

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
My guess is that you have something (an empty line, a space or a linebreak,... ) after the final > in your config.php

by Gustav W Delius -

There appears to be a problem in the config.php file for your DragonMagic theme at line 20. If you can't see anything wrong in the file try to switch to the standard theme to see if the problem goes away then.

Of course if you can't log in the only way you can switch the theme is by going straight at your database. Perhaps it would be easier if you just temporarily renamed the standard theme folder into DragonMagic.

by Jeff Wood -

I would try and edit your config.php

Looks like (as mentioned by Keon) that there are some empty spaces at the end of the file... very common and easy to fix.

Try that and let us know.

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Wood

by Charil Ferrell -

I have the same problem....yesterday I upgraded to 1.3 Beta.

I have tried editing my config.php with 4 different word processors, and no matter which one I use, I still have blank lines. 

Are there any suggestion as to how to get these blank lines out?  I even tried re-typing them as a new file.  I am lost.

Thanks in advance for any help.

In reply to Charil Ferrell

by Bryan Williams -

Charil,

Would one of these "word processors" have included a plain text editor (e.g. Notepad)?

by Ray Lawrence -

Try this one, copied from my site and working fine. Just enter your own information.

I edited this in WordPad.

I find it easiest to retain a copy of config.php and use it for each re-install / upgrade.

In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Charil Ferrell -

I have used Wordperfect, MS Works, Wordpad, Notepad, MS Word.

Ray, I tried yours as well....still blank lines.   I just can not get them to go away.

I even copyed my "old moodle config.php" over to the upgrade.  Still I have blank lines.

Thank you for your responses...I am just unsure of what to do now.

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
The extra blank lines are not in your main Moodle config.php file but in your theme config.php file at this url:
http://lwbi.net/moodle1/theme/mytheme/config.php

You can use my online configuration checker to verify this:
https://webwork.math.ohio-state.edu/configcheck.php
In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

by Charil Ferrell -

Thanks guys, yes there were still blank lines even with Ray's config.php.

This is what I have done to get an immediate fix, as I can't have my site down (LOL).

I installed another moodle (moodle2) through fantastico to an empty database.  Then I just edited the new config.php to fit my moodle1.  Then I moved the working file over.  Then I had to delete the moodle2.

My site is now working without loss of anything but the previous site news.

Thank you for all your help...hopefully through this post if anyone else experiences this same problem they will know what to do.

Charil

by Jeff Wood -

Charil,

Glad your site is up (kind of).

I found the easiest way to edit the file was remotely. I use the file manager feature on the site where moodle is hosted and edit the file there.  Not sure if you have access, but since you used fantastico; I'll asume use have access to the server.

Hope this helps.

Jeff 

by laurie fooks -
for editors under windows, I found ScITE from  http://www.scictilla.org to be great - it gives correct layout, line numbers and no blank lines on save - seems to handle files opened from different compression formats eg zip, gz

by Tranquil Earth -

Hi Everyone,

I would just like to thank those that responded to my post.  It seems the problem returns/spaces were indeed in the config.sys under my theme, NOT the main config.sys.

I wish to thank Gustov and Zbigniew for helping me address this problem, everything seems to be working really well now.

A BIG THANKYOU to Martin and everyone else here, for all your help and support.

Moodle is a fantastic product and I wouldn't use anything else ...

If I come across any bugs in this BETA version, I'll be happy to let you know.

Kind Regards smile

Penny