IMS QTI import for Moodle 1.8.2??

IMS QTI import for Moodle 1.8.2??

by Van Howell -
Number of replies: 25

Is there a way to import IMS QTI files out of Respondus 3.5 in Moodle 1.8.2.

We are in the process of moving from WebCT 6 to Moodle and need this ASAP.

I have seen threads for IMS QTI import for Moodle 1.6 but nothin for the new Moodle.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Van Howell

Re: IMS QTI import for Moodle 1.8.2??

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Have you tried it? I can't speak for the Rospondus Importer guys but the import/export api hasn't changed much since 1.6
In reply to Howard Miller

by Van Howell -

I tried it yesterday. I works with some questions but not with others. I have not tested extensively but it looks like it is having problems with True False questions.

Van

In reply to Van Howell

by Pierre Pichet -
Probably because the True and False question on Moodle is the two choices version of a multiple choice question. So in Moodle the multiple choice question gives you an error if there is just 2 choices for which you should use the True and False questiontype but WEBCT tolerate a 2 choices multichoice question.

At UQAM we have moved from WebCT 4 ( more the 500 courses for over 30,000 students) to Moodle using the tool developped Dan Stowell with some modifications.
http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=94

You can export the questions from WebCT 4 in a text format that Moodle can import as WebCT import format. I don't know if this format is the same for WebCT 6. Have you try it?

Pierre
There is also the tool developped by Eric Schewe http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=63497#p339106

In reply to Pierre Pichet

by Elijah Atkinson -
Attached is Greg Mushial's overhaul of my IMS QTI importer. I fixed the true/false import bug for moodle 1.8 as well as the .swf embed bug for the algorithmic question type.

This importer was designed for moodle 1.6, but so far it seems operable in moodle 1.8. Let me know if you experience any more bugs with it.

Thanks,

-Elijah Atkinson
In reply to Elijah Atkinson

by Van Howell -

Thanks for all the hard work on this.

However there is a problem with the file.
when I installed it on my test server it did not work. I got a blank screen on the test import screen. So I opend the file in VIM on my Linux box and saw all sorts of strange formatting. There was  a space between every line and a special character (^M) at the end of every other line. I believe this is a Mac Binary file. Could I get you to resave the files in a differenent format.

Thanks

by Van Howell -

I converted the files on my wife's Mac and replaced them in my moodle install. I still have problems.

Below is the error I get when I turn on error reporting in Moodle.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/html/moodle/question/format/imsqti/format.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/html/moodle/lib/questionlib.php on line 1776

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/var/www/html/moodle/question/format/imsqti/format.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear:/usr/share/php') in /var/www/html/moodle/lib/questionlib.php on line 1776

I have checked owners and permissions on the files in the imsqti folder. I still get the same error. Any suggestions.

Van

In reply to Van Howell

by Betty Harvey -

Could someone send me an example IMSQTI output from Respondus?  I have tried importing example questions from the IMS standard and I get the following error:

PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10) : Unable to find End of Central Dir Record signature

I have tried deleting the DOCTYPE declaration.  I think it might be just a nuance with how Respondus exports IMSQTI.

Thanks!

Betty

BTW, in UNIX/Linux you can get rid of the ^M in vi by doing a global search and replace.  The command is:

:1,$s/^M//

To get the carat in the command you type [cntrl]V.  Don't type the ^ character. Thought I would add this incase you hadn't been able to the the ^M out the file.  I only found them in the 'format.php' file.

In reply to Betty Harvey

by Elijah Atkinson -
Attached is a sample Respondus QTI file.

In case you don't know, this script expects a .zip file. Uploading the attached file should result in 1 of each of the possible questiontypes that can be exported by Respondus.
In reply to Van Howell

by Elijah Atkinson -
I've fixed several bugs with the script since the first post. Attached is the current version. I've removed the wrapper classes, as most of 1.5 support was removed with prior changes to the script.

I also re-encoded the file to be in UTF-8 format, my eclipse preferences got deleted and defaulted to MacRoman encoding for the files on the first post. >.< Sorry about that.

Try importing with this install, it should work.

Thanks for the input,

-Elijah Atkinson

by Clark Moodler -
Hi Elijah,

Thanks for all the work!

I'm still trying to figure out if I'm doing everything right in Respondus -

I have a bunch of quizzes from eCollege,

1) I start up the IMSQTI 1.1+ personality,
2) click open respondus file, to open up a quiz file from ecollege
3) and then it gives me the chance to do a save as, or replace the current file.
4) Now, it has already created this file in the Respondus projects directory. Is that the one I need, or do I have to go to "Preview and Publish" next?

and in Preview and Publish, what settings do I need? (See attached image)

Options include:
points as decimals or percentages,
qti xml or qti xml zip file using content packaging 1.1.3

thanks!
Clark

Attachment respondus35.jpg
In reply to Clark Moodler

by Clark Moodler -
I tried importing both of those and got:

PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10) : Unable to find End of Central Dir Record signature

on both...

thanks,
Clark

by Clark Moodler -
Hey, so I figured this out, and it works like a charm.

Here's how I got it working with the respondus_imsqti question type above:

1) I start up the IMSQTI 1.1+ personality,
2) click open respondus file, to open up a quiz file from any other personality
3) and then it gives me the chance to do a save as, or replace the current file.
I did a save as, just to be sure, and named it whatever-imsqti.
4) Then I go to "Preview and Publish" and select the file format "QTI XML zip file using IMS Content Packaging 1.1.3" and I selected Points as percentages.

The resulting ZIP file saved on my hard drive, and I imported that using the respondus_imsqti question type importer, and it works like a charm.

Sweet, thanks, Elijah and others who have put this together!

Now if I could only get Respondus to do the export in BULK!

Cheers,
Clark

Problems with Umlauts

by Clark Moodler -
So the quizzes I moved over using Respondus 3.5 and the respondus_imsqti importer were German quizzes - and it turns out --

questions that contain umlauts look fine (ä, ö, ü, ß)

but when umlauts were in answers (I used a lot of fill-in-the-blanks, where the words in answers need to be spelled correctly), they got changed to a ? - therefore, they will all need to be changed before being used, or the only way to get them correct is by replacing every umlaut with a ?

Anyone know how I can remedy that before I do more export/importing of these German quizzes?

Thanks,
Clark

by Respondus Inc. -

Respondus Inc. is pleased to announce its sponsorship and maintenance of the Respondus QTI Importer going forward.  Much thanks goes to the original creators of this script; Elijah Atkinson and Greg Mushial.  Version 1.4 of the Respondus QTI Importer works on Moodle 1.5 and above.  Full details can be found in the following Moodle plug-in catalog entry:

http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=986

If you have any questions about the plug-in or encounter any issues, please use the Respondus eSupport ticket system at http://www.respondus.com/esupport.

In reply to Respondus Inc.

by Tony Beld -
Last time I tried it, calculated questions did not import correctly. Has there been any progress in this area? I have been unable to get hundreds of calculated questions out of WebCT and into Moodle which is preventing my shcool from adopting Moodle and may mean we have to purchase WebCT.

We exported from WebCT and imported into Respondus and all looks good but things get mangled between Respondus export and import into Moodle. I believe we have tried all possibilities.
In reply to Tony Beld

by Respondus Inc. -

Version 1.4 of the importer should support Algorithmic questions exported from Respondus.  These questions use Multiple Choice and a Flash object to substitute for the Calculated question type in WebCT.

Please use the Respondus eSupport ticket system for further questions about the importer http://www.respondus.com/esupport.

by Clark Moodler -
Reported this to Respondus, but wondering if anyone else is getting this:

I loaded version 1.4 of the importer and now when I click on import questions, I get a blank screen.

When I delete the respondusqti directory, it comes back (minus the ability to import those type of questions, of course.)

Thanks,
clark

by Clark Moodler -
Further note:

I had left the older version of the "respondus_imsqti" importer in the question/format directory. When I removed the older importer folder, leaving the newer "respondusqti" directory, it now works.

So I would recommend this be added into the ReadMe.txt:

---------------------------
Installation/Uninstalation:
---------------------------

To Install (moodle 1.6 - 1.8):

* Copy the folder 'respondusqti'
into the question/format/ directory.

*Delete the older "respondus_imsqti" directory from question/format directory

* Add the line:

$string['respondusqti'] = 'Respondus QTI format';

to "your moodle install path"/lang/"your default language folder"/quiz.php.

BACKUP YOUR QUIZ.PHP FILE FIRST!!!!

Best,
Clark

In reply to Tony Beld

by Pierre Pichet -
At UQAM ( >500 courses and >30 000 students) we have succeded in the transfer of calculated questions from WEBCT to Moodle as long as they are in standard WEBCT 4.0 format.
We did not use Respondus to create them.
We use a modified version of the WEBCT import tool
http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=94

If your calculated questions are in few courses, you could export them in the webct text format and import them in Moodle.

We could surely find a solution so you will be able to use Moodlesmile

Pierre

by Clark Moodler -
Well that's just swell. Looks like a lot of bugs got taken care of very quickly.
Thanks Respondus for stepping this up!

Very fast reply on your support ticket, by the way, too.

by Kevin Johnson -
Hi there
I am running moodle 1.8.2+ and i am trying to get this Respondus QTI importer to work with my version also.

I have Respondus 3.5 and i can export the questions to IMS QTI specs.

When i followed the link above to the SVN repository of file i saw 6 files to download

I download all the files - the Readme text file and the 5 php files.

I created a folder called respondusqti in the questions/format folder and edited the quiz.php file accordingly... but i was getting the same error as Clark.. it would show a wierd page when i tried to impor anything... so I had to delete the files again and commet out the lines added to the quiz.php file and it was all fine.

I am just wondering if I am missing some step or doing something wrong here.

Or is there a zip file that i can download to install and one that I know if working on other peoples version of moodle.

Thanks
Kevin

by Respondus Inc. -

Respondus Inc. is pleased to announce an update to the Respondus QTI Importer plug-in. The individual files for version 1.4.1 can be downloaded today from:

http://moodle.cvs.sourceforge.net/moodle/contrib/plugins/question/format/respondusqti/

Starting tomorrow, a zip package for version 1.4.1 can be downloaded from:

http://download.moodle.org/plugins/question/format/respondusqti.zip

Full details can be found in the following Moodle plug-in catalog entry:

http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=986

If you have any questions about the plug-in or encounter any issues, please use the Respondus eSupport ticket system at:

http://www.respondus.com/esupport

by Ann Adamcik -
Will this plugin work in 1.9? If not, is there a timeframe for 1.9 support?

Thanks!
-Ann

by Clark Moodler -
Hello,

I was just wondering about the status of this IMS QTI Respondus import for the later versions of Moodle - 1.9.7 + = does this still work?

thanks,
Clark

by greg mushial -

Clark -

We're using the new one for 197+ - and it works for us.

greg