What students see after making a wrong choice in a MCQ

What students see after making a wrong choice in a MCQ

لە لایەن Colin Rice -
Number of replies: 7
Hi
I'm using Moodle 1.8.2
I've just started using the Quiz module and have a question about MCQ quizzes.
If students make a wrong choice and submit it, they immediately see a red cross by the choice they made.
Supposing they try again and make another wrong choice: this time they see a red cross by the most recent mistake. However, as far as I can tell, they do not see the red crosses against the previous wrong choice(s).

But if a MC question has, say, 8 possible answers, students might easily forget which wrong choices they have already made.
Is there any way to make it so that all previous wrong answers to a question (in an ongoing quiz) remain displayed as well as the most recent wrong answer?
That is what should logically happen, so I'm wondering if it's just a problem that I'm experiencing.
I'd be grateful if anyone could help.
Thanks
Colin
تێکرایى نمرەپێدراوەکان: -
In reply to Colin Rice

Re: What students see after making a wrong choice in a MCQ

لە لایەن John Isner -
I once had a group of students who would routinely guess answers in adaptive mode until they got the right answer. You'd be surprised at how often it took seven or eight tries to get the correct answer -- when there were only five choices! IMO showing them what they have already guessed just promotes guessing. I told the guessers to keep track of their guesses with paper and pencil, and I had a hefty penalty for wrong answers.
In reply to John Isner

لە لایەن Colin Rice -
Thanks, John. So that is the way it's meant to be then.
Does anybody know of a way to display all the wrong answers chosen for a question while it is still being answered?
In reply to Colin Rice

لە لایەن John Isner -
I'm not saying it's the way it's "meant to be." It's just my personal feeling about the subject, based on experience.
In reply to Colin Rice

لە لایەن Joseph Rézeau -
وێنەی Core developers وێنەی Particularly helpful Moodlers وێنەی Plugin developers وێنەی Testers وێنەی Translators
Hi Colin,
I am not sure it is desirable to propose an MCQ question with such a large number of choices as 8. And, like John, I do not think it a good idea to display all the wrong choices for the student. After all, it is the student's responsibility to rembember his previous (wrong) choices. So, in my opinion, the Moodle MCQ question type behaves exactly as it should.wink
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

لە لایەن Colin Rice -
Hi Joseph,
I agree about 8 questions being too many! I just wanted to cite an extreme case.
Still, I don't personally see anything wrong with letting students keep track of their previous errors. After all, if I'm not mistaken, that's exactly what happens in Hotpotatoes multichoice quizzes, isn't it?

I get your point about "responsibility" but, since I'm using the Quiz module for timed testing purposes, I prefer to have students concentrating on distinguishing between the choices that are left, rather than trying to remember what their previous choices were. Test/exam situations are already stressful per se, and it just seemed to me that not displaying the mistakes so far was adding a little unnecessary stress.

Colin

In reply to Colin Rice

لە لایەن Tony Gardner-Medwin -
وێنەی Particularly helpful Moodlers وێنەی Plugin developers

A couple of points here. It is actually currently fashionable in medicine to ask MCQs with very many (e.g. >12) options, called extended matching Qs. The idea is to make the Qs a bit like ones with open text answers (e.g. What class of drug would you prescribe for ....?) but without the hassle of handling spelling variations in the responses.  Usually these sets of options would be common to a whole set of Qs. It is an unfortunate feature of Moodle that it only handles such sets of Qs with a common stem rather clumsily at present, as discussed at several questions in one page , without any good mechanism for linking the Qs to the stem. Possibly the 'matching' Qtype could be made more flexible to this end.

Bear in mind that one of the main functions of a quiz (which I prefer to call an 'exercise') should be to encourage learning, rather than to grade or rank students: assessment for learning. It seems an excellent idea to insist that students use their brain (even better, along with pencil & paper) to register that an answer they have already tried was marked wrong! Better still if they think about why, and why they were perhaps sure it was right!