Should networking create duplicate users?

Should networking create duplicate users?

by Howard Miller -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I have networking set up to create new user profiles on the remote site. Two questions...

1) Do I need to do this, what difference does it make if I don't?

2) Why, when somebody already exists in the remote site does it create a new profile. This means that they have two nearly identical profiles. Sounds like a bug?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Should networking create duplicate users?

by Martín Langhoff -

Why, when somebody already exists in the remote site does it create a new profile?

You can peer with moodle sites you don't necessarily trust that much. It's a key part of the design of mnet -- a single institution could want to run a dozen moodles but there isn't much point with strong roles/capabilities.

The real tear-the-door-frame change happen when different institutions find it is safe to "peer" over MNET.

And any kind of user-merging is a majestic can of worms from a security POV. So no - not there pretty much on-purpose.

... just imagine you peer with my moodle install, and I craft an acct on my moodle designed to "match" your account in your moodle with whatever rules the merging code has... and take it over...

MBWA-A-A-A-A.

Attachment muppets_6.jpg