Content creation and development in Moodle - who does what...!

Content creation and development in Moodle - who does what...!

by Pauline Randall -
Number of replies: 2

Hi

I'm the e-learning Development Co-ordinator for a small FE College in Scotland and part of my remit is responsibility for Moodle.

Moodle was installed here just over a year ago as a replacement for WebCT (which very few people used). Over the course of the year we have had a fairly good take up from the people who are most interested in using new technology for on-line learning. We now need to get the next tranche of users on-line!

My feelings are that we now have a bit of an uphill struggle as we try to train our academic staff to be developers for on-line learning materials. There are issues of time and skill sets to be addressed and I'm putting together a report on the possible strategies we can use to move forward.

What I would really like to know from you all is how you deal with this. Do you:

• have learning technologists and if so what do they take responsibility for in terms of creating Moodle content
  • do you get your academic staff to produce their own content and if so how have you got on with developing their skill sets in order to do this
  • do you have shared resources across your institution or department resources
  • or do you do something completely different...?!

I would be grateful for any feedback/insight! If you prefer you can contact me off list at prandall AT elmwood.ac.uk

Many thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pauline Randall

Re: Content creation and development in Moodle - who does what...!

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The Open University is not very typical, but we do have a lot of 'learning technologists'. Generally the academic staff draft what they want, but then it gets professionally edited, designed and implemented.

If I can take this opportunity for some advertising, I hope you will be coming to the MoodleMoot that we are hosting in October. http://moodlemoot.org/ It's a long way off, I know, but a great chance to network with other people in a similar situation to yourself.
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Content creation and development in Moodle - who does what...!

by Pauline Randall -

Thanks for your reply Tim, just what I was looking for!

And don't worry about the advertising - I'm already booked for MoodleMoot and looking forward to it!