Unread posts displayed in list of forums

Unread posts displayed in list of forums

by Peter Wallace -
Number of replies: 4
I see that the Forums list on this site now displays extra columns. I am particularly interested in seeing the number of unread messages at the Forums list level, so I don't have to check each individual forum.

How do we turn this feature on?

Peter
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Wallace

Re: Unread posts displayed in list of forums

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Peter,

Please set forum_trackreadposts to "Yes" in the Forum settings via Administration > Modules > Activities.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Peter Wallace -
Thanks for the reply, Helen.

My Moodle already has that set to "Yes". BTW, I have Moodle (1.8.2+).

I see the number of Unread messages when I enter a particular Forum but from the Forums list - to the right of Description I just see number of discussions and whether or not I am subscribed.

On moodle.org at the Forums list (as opposed to an individual forum), to the right of description I see an 3 additional columns that do not show on my Moodle- Unread posts, Track and RSS. I also see the number of unread posts for forums is displayed in the Topic Outline section from the course front page.

This is what I would like to know how to implement.

Regards

Peter

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Peter,

It's possible there's a bug somewhere, though you should be able to see the same on your Moodle site as you can on moodle.org.

On moodle.org, read tracking for each forum is set to optional. Is this how yours is set?

by Samuli Karevaara -
How about your user profile settings on your Moodle, do you have "Forum tracking" turned on there too?