JMatch exercises are not displayed properly in IE

JMatch exercises are not displayed properly in IE

by Kamil Sz. -
Number of replies: 24
Hello! My JMatch exercises aren't displayed properly in Internet Explorer. I've attached a JPG, where my problem is visible. The IE won't add a vertical scrollbar and the exercise overlap the "Check"-button. Any ideas how to solve this problem? Thanks in advance! Kamil
Attachment jmatch.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kamil Sz.

Re: JMatch exercises are not displayed properly in IE

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Kamil,
thanks for your report.
  • Does the quiz look OK when you view it outside of Moodle?
  • Would it be possible for you to attach the quiz to your next post to this forum?
  • Also, what version of Moodle are you using? Perhaps 1.8?
  • And finally, what version of IE are you using? It looks like IE7, but could you confirm that please?
thanks
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

Odp: Re: JMatch exercises are not displayed properly in IE

by Kamil Sz. -
hi gordon,
thanks for your quick reply.

• the quiz looks ok when i export it to html. but there are problems within moodle smile it's much better in firefox, but it overlaps the gray area a little but: http://www.zshare.net/image/3152711bea7045/ (look at the marked area)
• of course it's possible to attach my quiz smile
• the moodle i use is v1.8.2
• nope, its not IE 7, but 6.xxx with SP2

cheers!
Kamil
In reply to Kamil Sz.

Re: Odp: Re: JMatch exercises are not displayed properly in IE

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
hi kamil,

thanks for the quiz. It displays fine in my IE7, so I think you may have the same problem identified on the following thread:

Please could you modify the "header.html", as per the instructions in the above thread, and let us know if that improves the display of the quiz in IE6.

cheers
Gordon

Odp: Re: Odp: Re: JMatch exercises are not displayed properly in IE

by Kamil Sz. -
yes, maybe this will solve my problem, but how to change the header if i use the quiz on the moodle site as the JMT file?
In reply to Kamil Sz.

Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: JMatch exercises are not displayed properly in IE

by Gordon Bateson -
If you are using the "standard" theme on your Moodle site then you should change the following file on the server where your Moodle site is hosted:
  • moodle/theme/standard/header.html
If you are using some other Moodle theme, you will need to change the "header.html" document for that theme.

After you have changed the "header.html" file for your Moodle theme, then when you administer the JMT file via your Moodle, the correct header will be sent to the browser.

If that is not clear, or if I have misunderstood what you want to know, do hesitate to ask for clarification smile

all the best
Gordon

Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: JMatch exercises are not displayed properly in IE

by Kamil Sz. -
ok, now i understand what you meant.
i've changed the header.html, but the quiz still looks as before. i've attached the header.html, maybe there's something wrong?
In reply to Kamil Sz.

Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: JMatch exercises are not displayed properly in IE

by Gordon Bateson -
Thanks.

The <?xml ...?> was not in the right place. I should go at the very top. Right at the top of the file. Before anything else.

I have added the <?xml ... ?> tag in the right place and I am attaching the modified "header.html" to this message. Please put it into your theme folder, "theme/experience247v32", and let us know what happens.

all the best
Gordon

Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: JMatch exercises are not displayed properly in IE

by Kamil Sz. -
Gordon, it's not better than before. Check out the attached screen (made after overwriting the header.html).
Attachment jmatch_screen.jpg
In reply to Kamil Sz.

Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: JMatch exercises are not displayed properly in IE

by Gordon Bateson -
A couple of things which would be easy for you to check:
  • do you have problems displaying all HotPots, or only JMatch, or only this particular JMatch?
  • if you change your theme back to "standard", does that improve the display of this HotPot?
regards
Gordon

Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: JMatch exercises are not displayed properly in IE

by Kamil Sz. -
so, i've problems only with each exercise in jmatch. the other hotpot are ok. and if i change the theme to standard, the exercises are displayed correctly.
In reply to Kamil Sz.

Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: JMatch exercises are not displayed properly in IE

by Gordon Bateson -
Kamil,
thanks for checking that.

It looks as though the "experience247v32" theme interferes with JMatch. I will investigate and see if there is a work around.

Could you tell me where you got the "experience247v32" theme?
Maybe here:

Or even better, please could you zip up your "theme/experience247v32" folder and attach it to your next post to this forum or send it to me - gordon at-sign kanazawa hyphen gu dot ac dot jp

thanks
Gordon

Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: JMatch exercises are not displayed properly in IE

by Gordon Bateson -
I think I have located where you got "v32" your theme from:
http://www.experience247.com/mod/resource/view.php?id=127

But when I used that theme on my Moodle 1.8 site, your JMatch showed up OK (see attached screenshot)

Attachment ks.jmatch.htm.gif

by Gordon Bateson -
By the way, did you know that the "experience247" theme contains code which uses the Google tracking system, (a.k.a. urchin) to track access to pages on your site. To me, that smacks of spyware, i.e. software which surreptitiously monitors a user's interaction with a computer without the user's informed consent, so I removed that part of the theme from my site.

Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: JMatch exercises are not displayed properly in IE

by Kamil Sz. -
hi!

here is the link to my packed experience theme: http://www.zshare.net/download/329809417a1305/
it will be nice if you can take a look at it. my sister checked the excercise on an other machine with IE6 and there are also the same mistakes in displaying the excercise.
the theme is from the website www.experience247.com (or something like that).

let me know if u find something interesting smile
Kamil
In reply to Kamil Sz.

Odp: JMatch exercises are not displayed properly in IE

by Gordon Bateson -
Kamil,
I noticed a couple of small problems with the "zshare" version of this theme.

The "header.html" still has <?xml ... ?> in the wrong place.

In "styles_layout.css", of the "zshare" version of the theme, there is a small syntax mistake, which I suggest you correct.
  • change this (around line 200)
    /***
    *** Course
  • to this
    /***
    *** Course
    ***/
However, I don't think either of these would mess up the layout on a JMatch page.

I'll try out the theme on my own site.

cheers
Gordon

Re: Odp: JMatch exercises are not displayed properly in IE

by Gordon Bateson -
Kamil,
to fix your problem, you need to amend "theme/experience247v32/styles_layout.css".
  • change this
    #content,
    .navbar {
    padding: 0px;
    margin: 0px;
    border-style: solid;
    border-width: 0px;
    border-top-width: 1px;
    border-bottom-width: 1px;
    width: 100%;
    }
  • to this
    #content {
    /*
    */
    }
    .navbar {
    }
It fixes the problem on for Moodle 1.8 + experience247v32 on my server anyway. Please let me know if this fixes JMatch on your site too.

regards
Gordon

P.S. I have attached an amended "styles_layout.css" to this post.

Odp: Re: Odp: JMatch exercises are not displayed properly in IE

by Kamil Sz. -
yes gordon, that solves my problem! smile
my excersices are displayed properly now. thank you so much!
unfortunately i'm a completly noob with hmtl, so i'm grateful for your help.
if you find something else in the experience247v32 code, what should be changed, please let me know.

thanks a lot! smile
Kamil

by Kamil Sz. -
gordon, i've one more question:

i have a flash player at http://ugryz.neostrada.pl/swish/
there are 4 files in this folder:
- index.html
- 01_01.swf (the audio file)
- player.swf (file with player outlook)
- playlist.xml

if u enter the website http://ugryz.neostrada.pl/swish/, you will visit the index.html file and the player works fine. now i'd like to embed exactly the same player in the instruction section of my JMatch exercises (attached), but unfortunately the thing doesn't work.

can you maybe help me with this? i think there's something wrong withe the code or some string missing, but i'm not that good in html and php sad
can you please have a look at my exercise?
In reply to Kamil Sz.

by Kamil Sz. -
i'm looking exactly for something like this: http://www.manxman.ch/moodle/mod/hotpot/view.php?id=192
In reply to Kamil Sz.

Re: Odp: Re: Odp: JMatch exercises are not displayed properly in IE

by Gordon Bateson -
> something like this: http://www.manxman.ch/moodle/mod/hotpot/view.php?id=192

Ah, that site is run by Alan Hess, who has generously supported the HotPot module in the past. Thanks Alan!

It looks like the page you refer to is a JCloze, run from the "jcl" file, with the "Force media players" set to "yes", thereby replacing all the media player with Moodle media player. Each picture + player is in its own cell in an HTML table.

If Alan is reading this, he may be able and willing to share the source file of the quiz with you.
In reply to Kamil Sz.

Re: Odp: Re: Odp: JMatch exercises are not displayed properly in IE

by Gordon Bateson -
The HotPot module doesn't work with ANY media player, but it will work with those which use some standard variable names to pass the information about where the actual player is, and where the media file is.

If at all possible, please use the standard Moodle media player.

To investigate and adapt the HotPot module to work with your player would require several hours work on my part. I would be willing to undertake such work, if you would be willing to pay for it.

regards
Gordon

Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: JMatch exercises are not displayed properly in IE

by Kamil Sz. -
"If at all possible, please use the standard Moodle media player."

Is there a moodle media player? where?? if it's possible to do it with the moodle media player, i will surely take it.
In reply to Kamil Sz.

by Gordon Bateson -
When you are creating your quiz on your PC using JCloze, JCross, JMatch, JMix or JQuiz, you can insert a media player object at any point using Insert -> Media Object.

It doesn't really matter what you enter in the "Player(s) to use" box, but you must enter something by clicking one of the "Add ... player" buttons. Usually click "Add Windows Media Player".

When the quiz is ready, save it on your PC and upload either the HTML file or the XML file (jcl, jcw, jmt, jmx, jqz) to Moodle. When you add the Hot Potatoes quiz to Moodle as a HotPot activity, be sure to set the "Force media plugins" to "Yes", then when the quiz runs, the media players in the quiz will be replaced by Moodle's own media player.

hope that is clear smile
Gordon

by Kamil Sz. -
yes, you're right. there's a media player inside of hotpot. but it's too big for me.
i've already found a way to embed swf files into the exercises. if somebody needs the code for it - here it is:

<object width="50" height="50" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="FTS"> <param value="file.swf" name="movie" /> <param value="true" name="play" /> <param value="false" name="loop" /> <param value="true" name="menu" /> <param value="High" name="quality" /> <param value="showall" name="scale" /> <embed width="50" height="50" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" scale="showall" loop="false" play="true" quality="High" menu="true" src="file.swf" />
</object>

cheers! smile
Kamil