Enrolment ideas

Enrolment ideas

by Kim Halat -
Number of replies: 0

Hello everyone....

I'm relatively new to moodle, so please forgive some ignorant questions.  I'm trying to figure how to handle the enrolment into our LMS, but I'm not sure on how to proceed - mainly because I seem to be misunderstanding the enrolment concept.  So I would appreciate any help from the more seasoned veterans of moodle.

My first question is about enrolment.  What is it exactly?  Is it access to a course, or joining a class?

Also, the enrolment date ranges when setting up a course - is it the time frame that someone can join, or is it the time frame that the course is accessible and can be used.  I also noticed a pull down menu called enrolment duration - what is that exactly?  is it the time frame that someone can use the course, or join the course?  Also, once someone has joined the course, can they use the course forever?  or can we expire that after a set period of time?

I would like to be able to control the access to the courses students/users are assigned to.  I would like it so that past a certain date, the course is no longer available.  I've tried internal enrolment and using the enrolment date range in moodle, but that doesn't seem to have any effect- at least as far as I can tell.

So, I'm turning my attention to database enrolment.  Is this the correct way to proceed?  Basically, I would like to grant access to certain courses and enable this access up until that certain date.  After the date has passed, I would like to have it so that if someone logs in, it either shows a user main menu with no courses, or the course is disabled, or hidden, or some message along the lines of "your access to this course has expired.  Please contact the system administrator to extend it".  If we decide to extend the access, I would think that we would just extend the expiration.

Another question regarding enrolment:  Are we limited to one type, or can we use several different types (internal database, LDAP< Paypal, etc....)?

I thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Kim

Average of ratings: -