DimDim, Wimba or Elliminate?

DimDim, Wimba or Elliminate?

by Lance Hinds -
Number of replies: 12

Guys,

I am part of a group launching a elearning platform for secondary school courses in the Caribbean region at the end of September. We are now tryiing to decide which of the above to use for Virtual Classrooms, Audio Chat Rooms etc. This is not an issue of cost.  We are looking at issues like the seemless intergration with Moodle, operating in areas with medium to low bandwidth, ease of use etc.

All inputs would be most helpful

Thanks

Lance

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lance Hinds

Re: DimDim, Wimba or Elliminate?

by Peter Sereinigg -
Look at http://www.persony.com
There bis no "official" moodle integration now, but you may do this very easy, when linking to the meetingroom and sending the params you need there.
We use it since a long time, without problems, and video support (f.e. red5 or macromedia) is available.
A lot of features and easy to use.

Peter
In reply to Lance Hinds

by Art Lader -
DimDim and Moodle play very nicely together...

-- Art
In reply to Lance Hinds

by Bryan Williams -
Lance,

Elluminate has been integrated fairly deeply and seemlessly with Moodle. I would be happy to show you how this could work for your project if you want to contact me offline.

Bryan
In reply to Bryan Williams

by Rajesh Dharmalingam -
Hello all,

The new Moodle Dimdim Integration pack is released http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=176809&package_id=228683&release_id=531825.

This pack includes the following:
1. Conference key will be random
2. Backup and restore
3. Support with Moodle 1.9
4. Removed the depricated functions
5. Dimdim Meeting settings added which includes Audio/Video configuration.

If you are facing with any issues or feedback, do let us know at rajesh@dimdim.com

Regards,
-Rajesh
rajesh@dimdim.com
In reply to Rajesh Dharmalingam

by Brad Iverson -
Does Dimdim have live video integrated now? The last time I saw it, only audio was live.
In reply to Lance Hinds

by Matt Wasowski -

Hi Lance,
As a member of the Wimba team, I'm certainly happy to see that you're considering us. I'd like to address the fact that you mentioned you're looking for both a virtual classroom as well as audio chat rooms. I'm pleased to let you know that the Wimba Collaboration Suite is the only package that contains all the interactive tools you're looking for.

The Wimba Collaboration Suite helps students and teachers connect by combining interactive technologies such as voice, video, podcasting, instant messaging, application sharing, polling, and whiteboarding, to facilitate student involvement by connecting educators and learners in a highly interactive way.  We know that different departments at a school have different needs, so therefore, the Wimba Collaboration Suite helps you accomplish a variety of teaching and learning goals.

You can find more information - particularly about our Moodle integration - here:  http://www.wimba.com/products/integration_moodle.php

Cheers!
Matt

In reply to Lance Hinds

by Thomas Caswell -
Lance:

We have been using Yugma (http://www.yugma.com) to provide online Moodle training for several months now and have found it to be one of the best examples of webinar software around.

The pros include:
  1. Works with Windows, Mac, and Linux desktops.
  2. Requires a minimal Java download, not the massive 15MB+ nonsense required by other software.
  3. Is completely free to use with up to 10 participants. Premium service is also available at a nominal cost, which includes expanded features (e.g., kb/mouse control and session recording).
  4. Works even with firewalls that stop other webinar software from functioning.
  5. Integration is as simple as adding a Yugma widget to an HTML block in Moodle.
  6. Yugma is built using open-source software technologies with obvious benefits (e.g., superior collaborative design, cost, etc.).
They are beta testing a new version which will add VOIP, video, and static sessions.

Regards,
Thom
In reply to Thomas Caswell

by John DeBruyn -
Hi Thom: How is the beta test of the new version of Yugma with VOIP, video et cetera coming along. Thanks for the heads up about using this package in tandem with Moodle. Much appreciated, John
In reply to John DeBruyn

by Cheryl Ayres -

We attempted the Yugma Beta with VoIP - but had quite a few issues.

That same day Yugma released their Yugma-Skype version and we have used it ever since.  The only problem was with a Vista system running with 3 monitors etc.   That system could not use the Yugma-Skype addin - but was fine with Yugma and Skype as standalones.

In reply to Cheryl Ayres

by Alejandro Lengua -
Is Wimba too expensive?
In reply to Alejandro Lengua

by Lance Hinds -

Hi All,

I received a quotation for Wimba as follows:

The cost of a standalone, build and ship server will be $4,000 per
application. Therefore if you need 2 servers, one for Live Classroom,
and one for Voice Tools, it will be $8,000. The servers are compulsory if you do not want a hosted (ASP) solution.

This cost for a concurrent 25 user license for Voice Tools is $US 6,600. This is a yearly cost. I believe the cost for Live Classroom is about the same. 

You can decide whether that is expensive of not. I am now looking at Persony. The cost is a lot less.

Lance

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Lance Hinds

by Shain Jacob -

We at Academic Excellence use a custom developed Online Collobarative suite with Moodle @aspiringkidz.com providing etutoring services for students in the USA.

We have been able to use Single Sign On (SSO) method to seamlessly integrate Moodle with our Online Collaborative Suite Application (which provides Whiteboard, Chat, Audio, Video and use of Pen Tablet). The application works with Windows and MAC OS Platforms. We currently have two versions of the Online Collaborative Suite:

(a) for the etutoring services we use one-on-one Online Conferencing.

(b) the second one has one to many user Online Conferencing.

fyi: Only the presenter/teacher WebCam is enabled for video. The student/participants will not be able to display their Video.

The Online Collaborative suite's database can be used with MySQL or MS SQL.  

If you need to schedule a demo to see the features, please feel free to contact me at shain@shain.com

Thanks,

Shain Jacob