Combining uploaded assignment file with Quiz-type questions on same page

Combining uploaded assignment file with Quiz-type questions on same page

by Deb Smith -
Number of replies: 0

I teach undergraduate and graduate courses online. Often times the assignments require students to complete exercises at another site or offline, but in Moodle there seems to be no easy way to grade these "submissions". At another e-classroom I was able to upload the assignment links or a file containing an assignment, and then on the same page beneath the uploaded file I could include a place to "submit" the assignment for grading. There was nothing to turn in, but I wanted positive feedback that the student had completed the assignment so that it could automatically be assigned a grade. This consisted simply of two radio buttons:

◘ I have completed this assignment
◘ I have not completed this assignment

If they clicked the first button, they were automatically given full credit, and if they clicked the second or neither button, they got a 0 on the assignment. The instructor didn't have to do anything since it was auto-graded.

However, in Moodle it seems one cannot combine uploaded files and radio button "quiz questions" on the same page. That seems rather short sighted, as it is often used in higher education online courses. Having to send an email to the instructor that Assignments 1-5 have been completed is a nuisance for everyone since the instructor then has to enter the grades in the gradebook, and in a large class with a lot of content that can be a real nightmare. Does anyone have an easy work-around for this? I hate filling the curriculum page with files that have only a 1 question "quiz" stating that the student completed the assignment! In just about every other respect, Moodle is hands down better than any other e-course software I have ever used, but the types of assignments that can be created fall woefully short.

Average of ratings: -