U.S. English - marks vs points

U.S. English - marks vs points

by John Dell -
Number of replies: 2
Hi,

The language string for 'marks' in U.S. English would be better stated as 'Points'. 'Marks' is not a term normally used in the US for grading.

In /moodle/lang/en_us/quiz.php
$string['marks'] = 'Points';

Also, I think we should consider adding the singular:
$string['mark'] = 'Point';

Any comments? I had originally opened this as a bug, but it was closed and suggested that it be discussed in forums to see what people thought of it.

Thanks,
John
Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Dell

Re: U.S. English - marks vs points

by Gustav W Delius -

I think it is a good idea to discuss changes to the language files in the community before implementing them, especially with languages as widely used as U.S. English. People might be confused when their Moodle after an upgrade suddenly uses different words for the same concepts.

In reply to John Dell

Re: U.S. English - marks vs points

by Thomas Robb -
I think that the difference in usage of 'marks' vs 'points' is of about the same level of significance at the 'enrolment'/'enrollment' issue. To Americans, the entire effort receives a 'mark' or 'grade' but the individual items adding up to the total grade are 'points' not 'marks'. Most Americans are probably unaware of the British/Australian usage of the term.

Since the total evaluation in both Am. E and Br. E can be called 'Marks' it doesn't seem strange when it is the label of a column in a summary. It's only in cases when we are talking about the total number of marks/points that a specific item should receive that the distinction is important.

I vote for replacing the definition in lang/en_us/quiz.php:

$string['marks'] = 'Points';

This will still work in Am. E as a column heading.