Moodle Networking as a portal

Moodle Networking as a portal

by Cassandra Wickens -
Number of replies: 3
I am trying to set up a portal using the Moodle networking feature. I'd like to have all the teacher/students go to the main portal site where they would auto-login as a guest. From there, they can click on their appropriate school under the 'Network Servers' block. as it re-directs them to that site, it will prompt them to log in with their proper credentials as those sites won't have guest access.

The problem I am having is that I can't get the guest user to see the 'Network Servers' block on the front page. I have modified the guest role to allow remote site roaming, but the block doesn't show.

I have tested the setup with authenticated users and everything seems to be working. I am running Moodle 1.8.2 on both sites.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Cassandra Wickens

Re: Moodle Networking as a portal

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi Peter
to do what you say, you do not need to use Moodle Network.
You may just set up a normal Moodle site you'll use as portal.
You put on this site just links to the other school's sites (in blocks or wherever you want, but just normal links).
Other sites do not need MNET too.
When the user clicks the link and "lands" on the other school's site, he will log in normally using a local account.

You need Moodle Network it you plan to use the "portal" site as a central user database and "enrollment point".
Users log in the portal site (not as guests!) so they may see the remote courses where they are enrolled on (in course list) and all remote sites (in Network Server block)
In reply to Lorenzo Nicora

by Cassandra Wickens -
Hi Lorenzo,

Thanks for that idea. I set up my sites with those ideas in mind and it is working great. I have left guest access open on the portal site to allow visitors and potential users the ability to see what it's all about. I added links in a block to the remote sites where they are prompted to login.

All authentication is handled via LDAP on a per-site basis as our Novell network and its contexts are set up this way. It also prevents other users from loggin into the improper site. Maybe next year we'll be able to set up enrollment via LDAP, but that's another topic.

Thanks for your help!
In reply to Cassandra Wickens

by Donal McMullan -
Hi Peter - it looks like you're pretty close to having set up a "Moodle Hub".

If you set up networking between the remote sites and the portal site, and then permit users of the remote sites to SSO into the Portal, they'll be able to interact there as normal Moodle users, enrolling in courses, etc. that aren't available to guests.

There's an element of your system that I'm not clear on. You have a number of 'remote' Moodle sites... is it possible for one person to have an account on more than one remote Moodle? If this is so, it is not yet possible to give that user a single account on the Portal Moodle that can be accessed (via SSO) from more than one Remote Moodle.

The user will have a new record created on the Portal moodle for each Remote Moodle that acts as a starting point for an SSO session. I'm struggling to make myself clear here, so I hope that makes sense.

Best wishes

Donal