Maximum Upload Size

Maximum Upload Size

by Ângelo Rigo -
Number of replies: 8

Hi

My name is Ângelo i work with moodle at Puc-Rs university in Brasil, i would like to ask about how to change the maximum upload size in the Edit course settings.

Actually 16MB are enabled, and i would like to change to 30Mb after i discover if the upload_max_filesize directive allows me

Thank´s in advance.  

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ângelo Rigo

Re: Maximum Upload Size

by John Isner -
Let me see if I understand: The max upload filesize in course administration -> Settings only allows 16M and you want it to show 30M. If so, you should check (and possibly raise) the limit at up to three external levels:
  1. Web server
  2. php
  3. Site administration -> Security -> Site policies -> Maximum upload file size

1 and 2 depend on the details of your installation. Read this for instructions.
In reply to Ângelo Rigo

by Chad Frerichs -

I am having a similar problem. I have set the max upload size in the php.ini file to 200MB but the max upload size in the course setup only allows me to go to 97.7 MB. What am I missing? My instructors are wanting to post video clips that are larger than 100 MB for the students to access.

I am running Moodle 1.7 on IIS6.

Thanks,

Chad Frerichs

**UPDATE**

Nevermind, I forgot to set it in the Security -> Site Policies -> Max Upload Limit. All is well now.

In reply to Chad Frerichs

by Abdelkrim Jebbour -
Hi,

In the PHP.INI set the parameter memory_limit to 200M
memory_limit = 200M
Restart and then check if the problem have been solved.

Good luck
In reply to Chad Frerichs

by Geof Duncan -
Oh, and for all of those who didn't figure this out by now. (Count me as one)

The Max Upload Limit field uses BYTES. So, if you want to increase your max upload to say 5 MB you have to input 5 * 1048576 = 5242880.

My users are saying I can't upload, I'm thinking I put 5 in the Max Upload Field... blush

And just think, I was once a math teacher... the shame of it all.

-Geof
In reply to Geof Duncan

by Jeffrey Silverman -
To clarify: the php.ini file (and many other byte size related configuration places) will let you specify M or K for Mega- or Kilo- bytes, repectively, and, as of PHP 5.1, G, for Giga- bytes. So, yes, if you specify:

upload_max_filesize = 5

then it will cap uploads at 5 bytes -- not very much!

But you can say

upload_max_filesize = 5M

and cap uploads at 5 Megabytes.

(See http://us2.php.net/manual/en/faq.using.php#faq.using.shorthandbytes )

I don't know, however, if this "M" and "K" shorthand will work in the Moodle configuration/administration menu ("Maximum uploaded file size" or "maxbytes").

later...
In reply to Jeffrey Silverman

by Geof Duncan -
I can attest emphatically, it DOES NOT work. If you try to put in 5M, moodle won't let you. and 5 is only 5 bytes....
In reply to Geof Duncan

by Alberto Montoya Lara -
Hello,

What version of PHP, Moodle and Apache do u use? I have 200M in my php.ini and Moodle accepts it without problems.

In reply to Alberto Montoya Lara

by Jeffrey Silverman -
I think he means, you can't use "M" or "K" in the web administration page in Moodle. Not php.ini, but Moodle.