Pool of questions?

Pool of questions?

wót Susan Jeffers -
Anzahl Antworten: 13

I'm just getting started making quizzes.  First - I gather most folks prefer the GIFT format, is that right?  I'm catching on to the syntax; are there any hidden pitfalls I should watch out for?

Second -- is there a way to have moodle randomly select, say 10 questions from a pool of 20?  I'd like to enter a question for each vocabulary word and then have the actual questions the student sees selected when they take the quiz; I allow one or two re-takes and want a different assortment of questions each time.  I see where the questions themselves, and multiple choices within each question, can be randomized...

Thanks!

Als Antwort auf Susan Jeffers

Re: Pool of questions?

wót Peter Sereinigg -

Hi Susan,

• Be carefull with blank lines. Each blank line is a NEW question
  • Use "::" for your organisational title
    ::here comes your oransiational title::
    (between "::" and "::" as overview for you, otherwise whole the question is your oranisational titel (students will NOT see this)
    • You can not upload points in GIFT, but when writing questions, I mark my suggestion of the points in in the Titel f.e: "(3 Points)"
      ::here comes your oransiational title (3 Points)::
    • I user a unique identifier for each Question, to find them faster, then my titel looks like this
      ::ID ern122 - here comes your oransiational title (3 Points)::
      ern = shortform of the questiontype, 122 a number
    • Now you have a good overview in selecting and managing questions
  • Upload not all questíons in one kategorie, separet ist and make id handsome to manage it, its although easier to delete wrong uploads.
  • Check all your questions before adding them to a quiz (from the right to the left site)
    because I got a lot of troubles, when deleting some of them, they suddenly ocurred as "ghost" in the statistic!!! This is reported as a bug but not solved until now
  • Write each question in ONE Line
    {
    ~question
    ~question
    }
    otherwise it will be difficult to read
  • Take care of the percentage (100 or 10 oder 25 oder 33,333 ...)
    ONLY those which are shown in the selection menue are valid,
    you may take other expressions, but you can not edit them in the html-view!!!
  • Be carefull only "." are allowed in your percentage or other numers
    German use "," this produces wrong results!!!
  • Take care of the result of your percentage
    Sum = 100% for correct answers
    and each wrong answer with f.e "%-10%"
    My way: 100/ devided throug count of answers ist the percentage for wrong answers, I just use a number of answers, which have integer results for wrong answers

Hope this helps for part 1 of your question

Peter

wót Martin Dougiamas -
Nutzerbild von Core developers Nutzerbild von Documentation writers Nutzerbild von Moodle HQ Nutzerbild von Particularly helpful Moodlers Nutzerbild von Plugin developers Nutzerbild von Testers
Note that text import is not the simplest way ... you can add questions one at a time using the Moodle interface and get error-checking forms that lead you through each question.

wót Scott DuVall -

Check out this thread!  It answers the question!

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=5440

The answer is that you create your category of 20 questions, and then on that category click the button right below the "Import questions from file" button that is labeled "Create Multiple Questions." 

This will ask you how many questions you want from the pool and let you add them to your quiz.  They show up as Random Question (Categoy) in your quiz, where Category is the category you got the questions from. 

Hope this works out - I know I'm excited about it.

Als Antwort auf Scott DuVall

wót Scott DuVall -

The question I have now is after you set up a few quizzes, you come to the end of chapter or lesson in your curriculum and want a test that includes all the same material as your quiz covered. 

I have seen solutions where you export questions from each quiz into a larger category for the test and choose random questions from this - but where does it end?  We have section quizzes, chapter quizzes, topic quizzes, a midterm and a final quiz.  That means for each chapter, I would have to export and reimport the quiz questions 5 times!

If you include in your test a random question from quiz 1 and a random question from quiz 2, it is still not truly random - because you want a random number coming from quiz 1 and a random number coming from quiz 2.  Any suggestions?

wót Dennis Daniels -
This is something I've been aching for as well. I've got maybe sixty questions per chapter for a text... I want to set the random q. feature for that chapter's questions so that no two students will see the same test... but the random q. connect to the dbase has some wonkiness... until that is fixed or another solution found we'll have to find workarounds.

dgd

wót Timothy Takemoto -

Scott, it is not possible to have a random number of random questions at the moment (in my 1.4.1) but it is possible that Brian Hannes(?) addition of sub categories to quizes may make this possible in later versions (1.4.2?? or 1.5??). Please see the following bug.
http://moodle.org/bugs/bug.php?op=show&bugid=1947
Or at least once there are subcategories then in theory it should be possible to lump all the quizes from a chapter together and then choose random questions to be created from categories or sub-categories. But this feature may not yet exist. Just from the point of view of organisation (even if random questions from categories is not yet possible) the creation of sub categories will be useful. Does anyone know in which branch, if any, sub-categories are go?

Als Antwort auf Timothy Takemoto

wót Bernard Boucher -
Hi Timothy,

if you have a "plain" Moodle 1.4.1 then that post and that bug may interest you. They permit to retreive real random questions with 1.4.1. in meantime before upgrading. Your pool of questions will work better.

If you combine random questions from differents categories in a quiz and if you shuffle questions and answers in quiz options then your students will have differents equivalents quiz.

Have a good other hackwink,

Bernard

wót Frantisek Andrasik -

Hello, I work on Multichoice testing extension of MOODLE.

There will be perhaps a category which will contains a subcategories and you will be able to choose how many questions from which subcat. you want... and every student get an unique test (if it will be possible) - random questiestion, random position, random answear...

But it will take a time because I new in Moodle and the documentation is not perfect.. traurig  but I have to do it because it is my dissertation...

So have a nice day and if somebody want to help me I will be gladlächelnd (at least with some documentation comment.. lächelnd)

Frantisek Andrasik

Als Antwort auf Frantisek Andrasik

wót Timothy Takemoto -
Dear Frantisek Andrasik

Please look at this bug
http://moodle.org/bugs/bug.php?op=show&bugid=1947
mentioned in the posts above. It seem that the thing that you intend to do MAY already be done.

Tim
Als Antwort auf Timothy Takemoto

wót Frantisek Andrasik -

Dear Timothy Takemoto

Thank you very much for the link it will be very useful for me. I didn't try it, but it seems that it is ,,only" hierarchy of categories and doesn't support generating random tests as I need. (to choose how many questions from which category and the final test will be not in database but it will be generated for a student and will be unique...)

I hope that it is not still done lächelnd because than I have nothing to do.... lächelnd

Frantisek

Als Antwort auf Frantisek Andrasik

wót Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Frantisek Andrasik,

No I am pretty sure it is not done. But it is probably a good idea to start from the code mentioned above. I really look forward to the completion of your project because it will make my job a lot easier. I hope that you can do the things that Martin mentions in his response to the bug, to ease the process by which your code becomes  part of the main Moodle release.

Tim