I need help for theme development

I need help for theme development

by Juan Aburto -
Number of replies: 18

Hi, after 3 attempts of creating new themes (3) i have not yet get the theme to work 100% , there is a few problems when the script does not use the full heather.. I need help from the coders to improve this tiny little problem..

example of the last theme intigrating flash header is available to preview

also check the other post here on this Theme Forum to see the other themes.

Please any one interested in helping me this bit it would be very apreciated.

Juan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Juan Aburto

Re: I need help for theme development

by David Scotson -
Hi Juan,

I'm currently doing some theme development and would be happy to help you out in any way I can. However I'm not sure I understand what problems you are having, the sites all look excellent (and I'm using Safari on Mac OS X which is often overlooked by web developers sad)

If you make the theme available for me to download and explain what you are trying to achieve I'll have a tinker with it and see what I can do.
In reply to David Scotson

by Juan Aburto -

let me explain, when using the header.html in there you see the code ($heading) to load the theme images to be use, one for the front page and the other if the navigation variable is present, load the diferent theme or should I said print the header of every page.. those two bits work 100% .

...the last bit is the problem  see...

<?php } else if ($heading) { // If no navigation, but a heading, then print a line  ?>

<hr size="1" noshade="noshade" />

<?php } ?>

<!-- END OF HEADER -->

when using this last part of the code load the header but only prints the <body> will not print the normal code just the body tag

<body bgcolor="#A2C0C9" leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0"  bgcolor="#739fc4">

!missing the openning of the table representing the green color in the footer.html if this bit is not present, the design does not display correctly if the table is not openning in the header!

<!-- END OF HEADER -->

<!-- from here on goes the print from moodle -->
<br />

<table align="center"  class="generalbox" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0">

<tr>

<td bgcolor="#FFBBBB" class="generalboxcontent">Sorry, guests are not allowed to post</td></tr>

</table><p align="center"><font size="3"><b><a href="Continuehttp://www.lajotadj.com/course/view.php?id=2">Continue</a></b></font></p>

<!-- START OF FOOTER --><!-- from here print the footer for the 3 if $heading variable in the header.html-->

</td>
 </tr>
 <tr> <td></td></tr>

<tr> <td></td></tr>

<tr> <td></td></tr>

</table></body></html>

can this part be fix in the footer or the header htmls files using another statement in order to print the missing <table> + <tr>

In reply to Juan Aburto

by Ger Tielemans -

Looks very nice, only two questions from a user point of view:

1. the nice header takes a lot of room from the page, every page, not only the frontpage
  2. it takes now 10 - 12 seconds to load an average page: high price for good looking

greetings, Ger

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Juan Aburto -

about that, must be a reason and a solution in your PC becouse the whole theme is no more than 40kb including the flash wich is only 20kb, it would take just few seconds to load, and once is in your [temp} stays in there until you delete the files manually from there or automatically using a cleaner. some of the php in moodle are larger than 50kb and most of them will load or require another inside each code, normally we are looking pages

<?PHP  // $Id: index.php,v 1.104 2004/04/07 13:07:38 moodler Exp $
       // index.php - the front page.

require_once("config.php");
    require_once("course/lib.php");
    require_once("mod/resource/lib.php");
    require_once("mod/forum/lib.php"); 

you end up with more than 100kb wich take 20second to load using a 56kb modern ONLY if you have a clean line max speed will be 52kbps overage is 42kbps and lets not forget the traffic conditions of your isp... it could be a number of reason but not the 30+ kb of the theme.

Juan

In reply to Juan Aburto

by Ger Tielemans -

I refresh a page at every visit. A typical Moodle page loads in 5-6 seconds from my home, yours doubles this:
As a teacher, not a programmer, I was just wondering what this means for your server with many visitors. Seems no problem I think..

Your effort could help Moodle to look more serious for some people that means: "there is something fancy moving on the screen.." and your moves look nice.

As a user I try to press the four yellow buttons..

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Juan Aburto -

Thank for the feedback I will take your considerations, anyways is really good that you explore the theme completely... smile I hope that those little yellow elements on the interface where not a matter of a disapoitment... je je but I wil rethink when creating a new one and get rid of those elements on the screen.

Cheers Juan

In reply to Juan Aburto

MARTIN! I need help for theme development

by Juan Aburto -

I have been trying really hard to get your attencion , sending just 2 emails ( I do not want to be a pest) and few post but nothing, I know you are a very busy person and I hope not to take much time of you, but since you know better this magnificent software (thanks mate), you probably can help me. Please please read this forum! my question is here. I need help

Good on ya!

Juan 

In reply to Juan Aburto

Re: MARTIN! I need help for theme development

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Sorry, Juan ... not ignoring you but you should SEE my incoming mail box ... some nights I just laugh at the amount of unread mail and go to bed, only to see it doubled in the morning.

I read your post about the table above ... why don't you just start the table in the header.html file? mixed

I really like the theme (though I would save the Flash just for the front page, and make it configurable from a text file in the theme folder).

I can't see the problems, though ... perhaps you could post some screenshots of the problem areas.

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Juan Aburto -

This is what happens in the last bit of the if statment in the header.html, and yes i have try that already but prints twace the header when using that table in that part of the code..

<?php } else if ($heading) { // If no navigation, but a heading, then print a line  ?>

<hr size="1" noshade="noshade" />

<?php } ?>

<!-- END OF HEADER -->

Wron table print

as you can see in there that is the problem when las if statment is present.

can i create an if statment at footer.html or the header.html and if is not too much asking, how?

my php knowledge is limitted but willing to spend nights trying!

thanks for your quick repply!

juan

In reply to Juan Aburto

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
OK, you just need to print a <table> opening tag in the header.html at the point by adding an "else" statement like this:

<?php if ($navigation) { // This is the navigation table with breadcrumbs  ?>

blah blah

blah blah

<?php } else { // no navigation, no heading  ?>

<table>...

<?php } ?>

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Juan Aburto -
Thanks I'll wil try this now thanks!! looks like gonna be a long night for me again!
In reply to Juan Aburto

by Juan Aburto -

did not work! thanks i'll keep trying diffe.. things.

I apreciated your support thanks..

will not bother you for this no more.

Juan

In reply to Juan Aburto

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Juan,

nice looking theme!

Your problem probably came from non pairing of <table> </table> statements.

You open 3 <table> in your header.html and close </table> only one.
In footer.html you open no <table> and close only one.

It will be easier to pair <table> </table> statements in each file.
That way, when an error occur and if the header file is not included in the page and replaced by an error message then your footer will continue to look good.

I hope it may help some people sleeping normallywink

Bye,

Bernard

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Juan Aburto

by Bryan Williams -

Juan,

Many people are excited by what you are doing with this great theme, I count myself as one of your fans,  But, PLEASE do not ask that Martin become involved in your project right now.  Too many other things are far more important to the Moodle community, like the pending release of 1.3 beta.  When you have worked out the bugs on this new theme you will certainly know a lot more about Moodle and be a better Moodle programmer for the effort. 

Keep us posted and thanks for your contribution,
Bryan 

In reply to Bryan Williams

by Juan Aburto -

smile That was a very academic way to tell me (you know what)... yes, I know and understand. Do not worry.

Thanks for the advice..

In reply to Juan Aburto

by John Gone -
Juan, I'm also a fan of the work you're doing. Ask for help whenever you need it. This help may be available from several sources. Martin is a big boy and a good teacher and answers if he has time, if he doesn't it's because he's too busy but he'll never leave you hanging for long. I think he determines, by himself, how he chooses to spend his limited time.

Moodle is a great software and getting better all the time due to a collective effort and much of that effort isn't realized until Martin helps out with the fussy bits.  He's a busy man but I've never seen him ignore someone who's trying to accomplish something. Keep plugging away, we'll all enjoy the result of your work, thanks in advance.

All the Best
In reply to John Gone

by Floyd Collins -

Juan, Your doing great work, if you share your source code it will help you more then just asking for help. Myself I would need to install your theme on my test server and play with the code to get it right. I think if you where to submit your code here you would get more help. And as John has said Martin will get back with you, and I would not worry if I was you about asking for help just maybe dont be so specific as asking just one person. Thanks for the contrib.

In reply to Floyd Collins

by Juan Aburto -

it already here for download...

I know how to fix it now... I will as soon i finish the last one Nahuel_Green

Attachment nahuel_green.jpg