YUI and Moodle

YUI and Moodle

by Steinn Sigurðarson -
Number of replies: 2
Hey everyone, I'm redoing some interface stuff from the COVCELL project in YUI, and currently my 1.7 Moodle has YUI 0.11, and my 1.8 Moodle has 0.12...

Since I needed resizable windows (panels) from YUI, and on the YUI documentation site they had an example to do just that, I was wondering when we could expect Moodle to come bundled with a later version of YUI, with which the current examples on the YUI documentation page work. I believe the version is 2.30 ?

I admit my 1.8 dev site is a couple of months old, so perhaps it's already been bundled, but for backwards compatilibity, I'm still faced with either bundling the files I need, myself, or using the yahoo hosted files?

I also had a question regarding JSON, as currently (and in the future, especially as our ruby->php rewrite requires it) the COVCELL presence block requires JSON, and we recommend users have PHP5.2.0+ or later for it. Now 1.8 has JSON bundled, but what about users of 1.7 or (gasp!) 1.6?

I was wondering on the JSON bit whether to do a check for the PHP version, if it's 5.2.0+, not do anything, else check for Moodle 1.8+ version, and in that case declare a couple of wrapper functions which behave like the core PHP stuff but use the bundled lib/json/JSON.php?

Just kicking around some thoughts, hope to get some feedback..

Best,
Steinn
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steinn Sigurðarson

Re: YUI and Moodle

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
1.9 dev already has YUI 2.3.0. Once we've all tested it better in HEAD I think we can port it back to 1.8. It's significantly larger unfortunately (several megabytes).

COVCELL should be written against 1.9 though. smile
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: YUI and Moodle

by Steinn Sigurðarson -
Ah, great news!

On the 1.9 thing... I know I know blush, you just develop things so fast, as soon as I've tested something on one version, I see a new one is just around the corner!

I'll be moving the development over to 1.9 later this week, but if you're interested we just had the first successful chats through the PHP pml (no more ruby!) today wink ... working on the invite (whiteboard, avchat, groupchat) stuff now!

Best,
Steinn