Upgrading question

Re: Upgrading question

by Marc Dastous -
Number of replies: 0

John;

What you describe should work however, let me describe how I upgrade; this may not be what everyone else does, but it works for me.

1. My "moodledata" folder resides outside of the web directory, the next directory level above the /public_html that you describe.  This way, the data that students and teachers add to their moodle courses NEVER gets touched in an upgade.  I create a TEMP_moodle folder in the directory where moodle resides.
  2. I drag and drop all the "old" moodle files to the TEMP_moodle directory (except for the custom themes I have created and some other customized files that I need).  In your case, the folder that you currently have set to store your data must not be dragged into this folder
  3. I then install the "clean" moodle installation in the exact location I want it to appear (Your public_html.).
  4. Be sure to use the same CONFIG.php in the main directory.  That way the paths to your data will be the same.

In your circumstance, I don't believe it was necessary to place the "New" moodle files in the moodle_1 folder, you should place the "old" files there.

This is just my two cents worth.

Marc