Ancient History... Version 1.5.2

Ancient History... Version 1.5.2

by Mark Wong -
Number of replies: 12
I was not sure where to put this, but we have a super heavily modified version of 1.5.2.

Did that version have the capabilities to send notification emails to a user if someone sent a private message to them?

The messages settings tab seems to indicate that it can do that, but I'm thinking that it was put in there for a future version. I've attached a jpg showing what the messages settings tab looks like.

I know 1.5.4 does... but unfortunately this version is too modified to upgrade.

I hope some of you Moodle "historians" might be able to help me.

Thank you!!!!
Attachment messagesettings.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Wong

Re: Ancient History... Version 1.5.2

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It's in the GUI because it's a feature, we don't usually put GUI in for things that don't work.

Email copies were in messaging from the beginning.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Mark Wong -
WOW!! Thanks.. Now I have to figure out what broke!!!

One more thing.. so I'm clear.. I assume... that when that box is checked, if the person the message is being sent to is not logged in, then they will get an email message that tells them they have a private message on Moodle..

That is what that does, right?
I have a bad habit of interpreting things differently than developers do.
Have the same problem with my wife too! big grin
In reply to Mark Wong

by A. T. Wyatt -
Greetings, Mark!
In my experience, the message arriving at your designated email address actually includes the entire text of the message on Moodle. At the bottom there is a little note that says "this is a copy of a message sent to you at 'Moodle'". Usually you can reply with your email client directly to the person, or you can log in to Moodle, retrieve the message, and reply with the moodle messenger.

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Mark Wong -
Ok... thanks!!! Well, sort of.. that just means I have a lot of work to do!
In reply to Mark Wong

by A. T. Wyatt -
Maybe I am getting confused about what you are trying to accomplish, but do you know that messaging is part of the Moodle Summer of Code project list?
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Student_projects#Messaging_improvements

Of course that is for versions 1.9 and up, I would assume. You might take a look at that. It might help give you ideas, at least!

atw
In reply to Mark Wong

by Michael Penney -
In 1.5, it appears that email of messages is enabled by default, but it really isn'tsad.

Users actually have to open their message prefs and save them before the pref actually gets written, if that doesn't happen the students don't get emailed.

Back in the day, we wrote a SQL script to create this pref for all our users.

See also http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-3990
http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-4920

In reply to Michael Penney

by Mark Wong -
Thanks!
that is what I needed to know.

Question though..
There is a patch show on this thread: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=38573

It says to make changes to the lib.php file, but I can't seem to find that file anywhere.. Well, at least in what I would consider the obvious places.
In reply to Mark Wong

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There are many files called "lib.php" in Moodle, but in this case, I think we are talking about "message/lib.php", as mentioned in MDL-4639

regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Mark Wong -
Doh!!!
In reply to Mark Wong

by Mark Wong -
The patch worked perfectly on my personal test server.
All we have to do is test it on the beta server, and we should be set.

Thanks for all your help!!!
In reply to Mark Wong

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Mark Wong -
So does it mean 1.8 has the problem also? I tested 1.8, and it seemed to work..