Posts will not update

Posts will not update

by Rob Monk -
Number of replies: 21

Sometimes when students or teachers try to update the details of a choice, a forum or a glossary the task will not update. It is driving us crazy. It's got to the point where we're just about to give up on using Moodle. It is just too frustrating for people. Especially new users.  

I click the "Update this choice" button and everything appears fine. A box opens up and I update the information.

I scroll to the bottom of the page and click save changes. All appears well but.......

The changes don't appear.

When I go back into the "Update this choice." screen my changes are still there but they will not display. I've even gone to a different computer and the attempted changes are still there but will not display.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm a little frustrated.

We have recently upgraded to 1.8 and it seems like we may have a sever issue. I can't figure it out.

It does not happen all the time!!

The screen dump below shows the forum post and update. The lower part, after the blue writing will not display. We've changed the format, the font the text color and nothing works. Nothing after the words "discussion questions" will display. I've looked at it in the HTML editor and nothing looks unusual. I've cut and pasted into a text editor and back, into word and back and nothing works. It will not display. It is happening more often to others now and is very confidence sapping to new users.

Attachment forum.JPG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rob Monk

Re: Posts will not update

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Hi Rob,

Check Text cache lifetime from

Administration -> Appearance -> Filter settings

Could you attach php info of your server?

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Rob Monk -

Thanks for the suggestion.

I change the cache lifetime from 1 minute to no cache but it made no difference. Attached is the PHP info.

In reply to Rob Monk

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Rob,

I have two canditates: PHP Version 5.2.0-8+etch4 and json 1.2.1

There are some bug reports that suggest upgrading php to 5.2.2 or 5.2.3. Is it possible to upgrade your php? Where do you need json?

The second guess is that this has something to do with Apache modules mod_rewrite or mod_suexec (and CGI) but this is just a guess and I don't know why or how they could cause your problem.

Edit: I also read your other message and http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/gone-away.html

could have something to do with this too (or max_execution_time = 30 or max_input_time = 60 could be 300-600) ???

by Andy Tagliani -
Shit happens, one more silly bug in moodle, im total frustraded too. Sometimes i aks myself, did the developer not test with all browsers ...

I can confirm what Rob wrote. The Problem is only in the Internet Explorer v7 (v6 i did not know), not in Firefox. The problem is not only in one module, it´s in all modules.

I´ve try it with different php and mysql versions, on every server the same result.

Rob, one Solution with a hook and a backdoor, but it works.

Expand the editor to large mode, there you can change or modify your content. If you´re ready with your modification, close first the expand mode, so you switch back to normal mode of the editor, but the changes will saved at this time. No you can send your content with changes.

Andy
In reply to Andy Tagliani

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Andy,

I have used IE7 since beta version and it works just fine with my test moodles (all versions and all modules without expanding the editor) and here in moodle.org so I doubt it would be a bug of moodle itself or IE7.

Is it possible to visit some of your sites, Andy?

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Andy,

if this happens with your IE7 only have you tried to upgrade your IE7 browser or tested with some other PC & IE7?

by Andy Tagliani -
Mauno

Sure it is the Internet Explorer v7, i hate them. He produce a runtime error, i try to fix with updated version of the htmlarea.php, but i have no access. To work with the IE in moodle is really painfull.

I will make a site for you with teacher access.

But Mauno,
i have a new problem in the same case i think. I wrote a solution for Rob, the first topic in this thread, he should expand the editor, that will work. Yes it will work, but not on the websites of our customer the have run moodle under ssl with "https:// url"

The WinXP i work is full updated Mauno!

There comes this error, see attachment!

I send you a PM with the website, and the login data, you must install the ssl certificate, but i can only install a root-certificate.

Sorry wrong picture format!
Andy

//Edit//
I found this entry in the tracker http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-9942

Attachment edit_fullscr.bug.gif

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Hi Andy,

thanks for your message - I visited your site (installed the certificate first) and tested adding/editing one forum and glossary entry with no problems in my IE7 and deleted my entries. I did not expand html editor.

I could test some more but if you have some exact example (some forum, quiz etc) I could try to edit would you send a personal message or email to mauno.korpelainen@hyvinkaa.fi ?

I also checked quickly with error console if there were anything wrong with css or something like that but found yet nothing...

The problem could be some setting of your IE7, lack of RAM or something like that but if you don't mind we could use email to start hunting the reason why your site seems to work fine (so far) with my IE7 but not with your IE7.

EDIT: Yes, that expanding problem is present - I will test it more...

by Andy Tagliani -
Mauno,

thank you very much for spendig your time. See the problem, we have arround 250 moodle installations, and you can trust me, if i found this (or my) bug or problem, i start a mail to the coordinators of the moodle system. A lot of the sending me the feedback that they has exact the same problem.

All has a the latest version, new and clear installing (some installation weeks ago, some few days ago), no upgrades or anything. They has different servers, but an all servers we has the correct server settings!

You can trust me too, that i check my configuration of the internet explorer, i mean (i will not say yes) i have all sttings correct. Maybe i has one more update than you wink

Mauno,
did you try (you can edit all content) to modify a book, try to move a existing content some lines down, did this work and save the changes in your internet explorer? That the expandinf did not work is not the greatest problem, but i have the same instalation on this server, only without ssl certificate, there works the expanding of the editor window! If you will see, i can give you access to the other website.

I mean i can try to overwrite the editor folder in the lib folder with the newest file, if i should do this, tell m please!

Andy

... and thanks for help!

//Edit//
Holy trash, you´re right Mauno, i try to press F5 and really it works! But it works only one times, but i it a solution for the moment, ... aaaaand the changes will be save! Yes Mauno, i willl send this information to our customers!

by Mauno Korpelainen -

The error message I had with expanding editor was: HTMLArea.I18N.msg is zero or not an object

in lib/editor/htmlarea/popups/fullscreen.php

MDL-9942 may be fixed soon and you must be right that your problem is related to MDL-9942

by Mauno Korpelainen -

I tried to modify a book and some pages, moved content up and down and yes, it worked too - with no problems and IE7. Edited - saved - edited - saved.

However if you try to edit some content that has for example javascript inside html editor (or some lib file) will remix, cut or add tags. If this does not happen all the time one explanation could be some unusual tags inside html code - but I did not find any. Or if the text you are pasting from Word to html editor is really long it won't be saved and some modules or database may even crash...but these are certainly special cases.

If the problem were that you could not update any other content than plain text one reason could be Apache2 mod-security but I don't think it is a problem here...

by Andy Tagliani -

Mauno,

the error "HTMLArea.I18N.msg" i know it is a problem, not only in moodle. other cms has already a problem, java AND ajax is not the best friend of the ie7.

No, i did not not copy&paste from ms word, the user who create the content, create in direct in moodle and over a linux ubuntu client without ie and with openoffice. i know this, because on this school we host and support the server and the clients.

No the apache mod_security can not be the problem, i try it with and withou, same result. I check again my setting in ie, i change (normaly today you didnt must do this) that the browser did not reload from the cache, but is has no effect.

For the moment Mauno, we can so i think. live with the F5 solution, let us pray they teachers press not Alt+F4.

Anyway, thanks for the moment Mauno
Andy

//Edit//

I try this topic, the expanding of the editor works, but my modification in this topic over IE does not save too!

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Andy,

the odd thing is that your site works fine with my IE7 except that expanding problem - and if I press F5 editor will be expaded as normal. I also checked this with my test site without https or certificates and had not this expanding problem at all.

by Andy Tagliani -
I think i found something, see in the cvs

Revision 1.6 of the fullscreen.php when using https:

see here, click

"Merged from MOODLE_17_STABLE:

add support for https source for popups

previously fullscreen.php tried to load any javascript files that were
running in the popup's parent.
If the source of the script didn't start with "http:" it was assumed
that it must be a relative path. This caused problems when it tried to
make it into an absolute path.
Fixed Regex to include support for https"

If i select the different between the files, i can not see a different or i am totaly high. This is what i post before, without https:// the expanding of the editor works, with https:// it did not work. But ok, i see they know teher are some problems.

The next problem that changes not saving, i found out, that problem is only when i want move down the beginning of a content. If i move down content inside the content it will work. I check in the html mode the source, he makes <p></p> for every tab with the enter taste a user make. But he did not show the effect, so this must be a bug and with or without https://

I mean, when Microsoft stop to distribute the IE6, i want not know how many problems a admin must solve then. We need a solution. I´m not sure where is the problem, so i will wait some days before i open a ticket in the tracker for that problem.

Andy

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Andy,

test if replacing lib/editor/htmlarea/htmlarea.php with the latest version from cvs helps

http://moodle.cvs.sourceforge.net/moodle/moodle/lib/editor/htmlarea/htmlarea.php?sortby=date&view=log

by Andy Tagliani -
Mauno hello,

this is what i yesterday try, without success. Let forget us for the moment the problem with the resize/expanding of the editor.

The greater problem i think, and i tested yesterday with arround 50 admins and teachers, is that one function of changes not saving. If a user set the cursor before (example this topic, Mauno hello) and will move down the content, expample 5 linies, this is not work. If i check the source, he show me this:

<p align="left"><font face="Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="2"></font></p>
<p align="left"><font face="Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="2"></font></p>
<p align="left"><font size="2"><font face="Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"></font></font></p>
<p align="left"><font size="2"><font face="Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"></font></font></p>
<p align="left"><font size="2"><font face="Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">

If i delete this lines, he shows me only once times:
<p align="left"><font size="2"><font face="Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">

Shit happens, i think, there is one order the IE did not correct understand.

Andy

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Have you tried to press <shift><enter> instead of <enter> when you add those 5 lines?

That code your editor has given will not work in any browser because in html there should be something inside <p>...</p> tags. Try to open attached file with any browser and view source code.

by Andy Tagliani -
Ya .. he should do this Mauno, but he did not. See, if i move down the content, he set this before :

<p></p>
<p></p>
<p></p>
<p>here begins the content ...

But he did not show me the space i placed inside before!

Yes i no, shift + enter, i know this from some messengers, but Mauno, not i personal have this problem, some (not all) teachers and students. We are talking from germany, here we have major problems with the media authority. When i must tell the users, what taste they must press ... no comment.

The better way is they take a mozilla browser, but when the installation of the firefox is a problem, what kind of problem do you think wait for the admins to tell the users why they should take a mozilla browser.

My problem and i have no experience about that, when user has click the enter taste to copy white space in their document, what goes on when the bug (in moodle oder internet explorer is fixed), are the content show then more white spaces as content?

Andy

P.S. Let us go in a stress freely weekend Mauno, we will se what happend. The good message is, we know about this problem!

Hi from germany and many thanks to you!

by Mauno Korpelainen -

OK

smile
and yes - there is a difference between IE7 and FF. IE7 saves

<p></p>
<p></p>
<p></p>
<p></p>
<p></p>

but FF saves

<p><br /></p>
<p><br /></p>
<p><br /></p>
<p><br /></p>
<p><br /></p>

by Mauno Korpelainen -

I had to make one more test to make sure that it is a bug in htmlarea and not in IE7. For example Xinha saves

<p>&nbsp;</p>
  <p>&nbsp;</p>
  <p>&nbsp;</p>
  <p>&nbsp;</p>
  <p>&nbsp;</p>

in IE7 if you press 5 times <enter> and this is certainly not the only problem for users of editor htmlarea in moodle. So you may call it a bug...and there are really quite many moodlers (not only german teachers and students) who have never heard that shift+enter gives a simple line break (= </br>) - I understand well your pain with this kind of things.

by Andy Tagliani -
Mauno,

i solve for us the problem with the expand of the editor window!

In line 32 of the file /lib/editor/htmlarea/popups/fullscreen.php is the code:
if (/^https?:/i.test(script.src)) {

i change the code to:
if (/^http:/i.test(script.src)) {

and see, it works without any problem under https://.

The other thing (i say today it is a bug) with the linebreaks in the normal mode of the editor under Internet Explorer v7, is or must be in the file htmlarea.php.

I play a little, i copy the
htmlarea.php from moodle 1.6 in the account where you test too, it works with the Internet Explorer v7! Changes will save, linebreaks are clear and correct.

I hope they can fix it quick, and i know that the problem are in the Internet Explorer, but before Microsoft publish a bugfix (and why should they do this) i hope, the developer found a bug or a workarround.

I leave the website open for this sunday, in the night i need the domain to setup a new moodle. If u wanna see that the expand editor works, u can look. The file with the problem, here the linebreaks, i copy the oroginal from moodle 1.8.2.

Bye Andy