(non-moodle question) Student Record Systems

(non-moodle question) Student Record Systems

by Sean Keogh -
Number of replies: 7
Hi All,

Nothing to do with moodle...but I'm hoping to mine some useful information from the marvellous collective conciousness of the moodle community.

What do folks in here use for keeping track of student records?

By Student Records I mean items including name, address and other contact details, parents / next of kin, academic history (which schools previously attended, grades received, etc) and current academic results from assessments, projects, exams and so on...

I know that some institutions have home-grown systems developed over many years, and others use commercial offerings.

I also know that some of these systems have the ability to interface with other systems to create network and email accounts, produce bar-coded student ID cards, produce form letters (for exam results) and so on.

I'm interested in finding out more about what people are actually using.  One of our parent Universities, Oxford Brookes Uni, has an enormous in-house developed monstrosity....but then they have 20,000 students...we have 350 at the moment...

Currently the whole thing runs on a system of Excel spreadsheets and MS Word mail-merges here.   Really horrible and I'm getting tired of supporting the mess.

So...what do you use?

Sean (OxBeard) Keogh

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sean Keogh

Re: (non-moodle question) Student Record Systems

by Mark Burnet -

Some 80 cities and counties in the Commonwealth of Virginia use the NCS Pearson product "SasiXP". Some in the SQL backend flavor, but most using the old DB4 format. www.vasasi.org

We have only 1350 students, but Fairfax County and City of Virginia Beach each have well over 80,000 students on this system.

In reply to Sean Keogh

by Paul Duff -

Hi Sean

We use EBS from FD Learning in Sheffield - Oracle based.  Probably sledgehammer to crack a nut for 350 students though ....

Paul

In reply to Sean Keogh

by Bob Boufford -

Sean,

Maybe you should talk to Martin about starting an open source SRS/SIS to complement MOODLE. 

How about "MIIDLE - Management of Individual Information in Distrbuted Learning Environments" to go with MOODLE?

Is MOODLE an abbreviation or acronym for anything?

Cheers,

Bob

In reply to Bob Boufford

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

The word Moodle was originally an acronym for Modular Object-Oriented Dynamic Learning Environment, which is mostly useful to programmers and education theorists.  It's also a verb that describes the process of lazily meandering through something, doing things as it occurs to you to do them, an enjoyable tinkering that often leads to insight and creativity. As such it applies both to the way Moodle was developed, and to the way a student or teacher might approach studying or teaching an online course. Anyone who uses Moodle is a Moodler.

(from  http://moodle.org/doc/?lang=en (introduction) )

In reply to Bob Boufford

by Sean Keogh -
Hi Bob,

I like the sound of that...but I suspect that Martin won't have time for that this side of the 22nd century...

Sean Beardie
In reply to Sean Keogh

by James Sangster -
I work for the University of Houston Downtown. We use a system called Banner that runs on Oracle. We've got 7000 students enrolled every semester. I know what we're running is pretty pricey though. I'm sure there are other systems out there.