New Activity Module Realtimequiz - feedback appreciated

New Activity Module Realtimequiz - feedback appreciated

by Davo Smith -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I've been working on a new activity module for moodle called 'realtimequiz' for a few weeks now (on and off).

I've got it to a state where it all seems to work, and I was wondering if there were any people out there who would be willing to download it, try it out, look through the source code and give me some feedback. I am a reasonably competent programmer, but I have little experience with PHP (and, for that matter, Javascript & SQL). This is the first bit of development I've done with Moodle, so some suggestions about how to get closer to the coding guidelines would be particularly appreciated.

As I'm not sure where is the best place to place the source code, etc. I have attached it to this post for the time being (if anyone can suggest a better place to put it, please do so).

A full description is included in the readme.txt file inside the archive (along with some other areas where I would appreciate feedback).

Thanks in advance...
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Davo Smith

Re: New Activity Module Realtimequiz - feedback appreciated

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Just wondering if anyone had had a chance to look at this for me?

Or could someone suggest a better place to post such a request?
In reply to Davo Smith

by Braden MacDonald -
Hi David,
I read your "readme" file, and I think that your project sounds very interesting and useful. Unfortunately, I don't use Moodle in a traditional classroom environment, so your module is not of use to me; and I don't have time right now to play with it out of interest only.
I would suggest, though, that you post again here and include a full description of your new module right in your forum post. I suspect most people cannot be bothered to download an archive file and extract it just to find out what your module even does.

Cheers,
Braden.
In reply to Braden MacDonald

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Good point Braden. For others reading this, here is an extract from the README file:

What is it?

This is a type of quiz designed to be used in face-to-face lessons, with a classroom full of computers.
The teacher creates the quiz in advance - adding multiple-choice questions, with a range of answers (and indicating which is the correct answer).

During the lesson, the teacher starts the quiz (optionally giving the quiz a 'session name'). Students can now connect to this quiz. Once the teacher is satisfied that all students have connected to the quiz, they can click on 'Next' to show the first question. The question will be displayed for a pre-defined amount of time, after which the correct answer will be displayed, along with a count of how many students gave each answer. The teacher can then discuss the question, before clicking on 'Next' to show the next question. Once all the questions have been shown, the final result for the class is displayed.

The teacher can, at a later date, go back through the results and, for each question, see exactly what answer each student gave.

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Davo Smith -
Thanks for posting that for me - I really should have done that in the first place.

Is it worth me posting a version in a .zip file, rather than a .tar.gz file?