I am actually in the same boat now as well. Any suggestions?
Here's my suggestion. It might seem longwinded to you at first, but it will be smooth.
- copy across the the Moodle 1.5 scripts, database and data folder to the "new" box. You may need to update the "$CFG->wwwroot", "$CFG->dataroot" and "$CFG->dirroot" settings in config.php
- login to Moodle 1.5 and check it is working ok.
- save the config.php
- remove the Moodle 1.5 directory, and replace it with a Moodle 1.6 directory
- Put the config.php copy across the config and login to Moodle as an administrator. The site wil now update to Moodle 1.6
- initiate the "Migrate to unicode" task on your Moodle 1.6. It can take a long while.
- after it completes upgrade the site to Moodle 1.7 and then to Moodle 1.8
- your Moodle 1.8 is now ready to go. If you want to dump and restore stuff to the other "new" Moodle 1.8 site you can do that now.
I am in the process of doing the 1.6.5 UTF conversion now. From 1.6.5 cvan I go directly to 1.8.2 or do I still need to upgrade to 1.7 first? I thought once it is in the new UTF-8 you could jump from 1.6.5 -> 1.8x.
That has been my understanding. GB is usually correct on Moodle issues; so I'm surprised we have a disagreement on this. I had told another user in another thread that they only needed to upgrade to 1.6 or 1.7 in order to migrate to Unicode, then they could upgrade to 1.8. I was about to do the same in this thread when I saw GB's post, so I didn't. I thought I must have been mistaken. But since you brought it up ...
if you want to be safe, go via Moodle 1.7, as this is the most tested route.
If you have a small uncomplicated (i.e. using a single language and only standard blocks and modules) site, you can try going straight to from 1.6 to 1.8, but my experience is that going through the major releases, i.e. 1.5 -> 1.6 -> 1.7 -> 1.8, is the more reliable route.
Whatever you try, please let us know how you get on
I did the safe upgrade going from 1.5.4 -> 1.6.5 -1.7.4 ->1.8.2.
Your directions worked perfectly!
Sounds like logic - but the big problem we have had is that I can't get 1.6 to uprgade to 1.7 or 1.8 - during the upgrade process it hangs and I never see the continue button - have tried at least 6 times over a weekend with various suggestions from forums but no luck (running MYSQL, PHP, Apache on Windows box).
Eventually gave up and restored from backup and we are still running 1.6
What I have done is build a new 1.9 server clean - no issue and I would love to migrate across the courses from the 1.6 server - hopefully with user data intact?
Any help would be appreciated..
6 hours in and I give up for today...