What gives with Wiki?

What gives with Wiki?

by Mark Pearson -
Number of replies: 11
Quote on the Wiki support Forum:

"The older Wiki module by Michael Schneider and Mike Churchward (which is still in 1.5 and 1.6 dev) is likely to be replaced by a new Wiki module (currently called Dfwiki) being developed by Ludo and his team in Spain."

This "old wiki" is still the default in Moodle version 1.8.2 and from conversations in the wiki forum it emerges that it won't be replaced in v1.9 either. What is going on? Does the current 'old wiki' support and execute roles and capabilities? The Nwiki as developed by Ludo is generally acknowledged to be superior but, as Ludo writes, it was developed for v1.6 and needs to be updated. When will this version become the standard wiki for Moodle?

I notice from the tracker that bugs are still being fixed so it seems that, despite my impression from elsewhere, the wiki is still being supported with bug fixes.

Thanks

Mark
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Pearson

Re: What gives with Wiki?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I really WANT to replace the current wiki ... unfortunately after Eloy, Helen and myself reviewed nwiki recently we found too many issues still remaining. sad Overall it's still slightly better to live with the devil we know.

The fact is that we (Moodle HQ) have limited resources and not enough time to fix those issues in nWiki in time for 1.9, so it's up to Ludo's team.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Michael Penney -
Could someone please send me the results of this review?

I can put some hands on it now, it would be really helpful to have your review so we don't have to start from scratch.
In reply to Michael Penney

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Michael,

I've just forwarded my review to you via email. Hope it helps.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Gonzalo Serrano -
Hi here,

I'm Gonzalo, a new member of the nwiki team. This is my first message smile

I'm documenting myself and getting familiar with moodle/nwiki and i'd like to take a look to the review too.

Could you please email it to me?

Thanks!
In reply to Mark Pearson

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Of course, the new wiki is available to download an install, and a very valuable contribution would be for some intrepid early-adopters to download and install it into their production system, then report any bugs that are found. Getting some real-world testing of the new wiki would hopefully privide compelling evidence that it is ready for prime-time, and can now safely go into an official release.
In reply to Mark Pearson

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Hi,
last weeks I've been silent and working on backstage.

Yes, there are some issues with nwiki, and: yes we are working to resolve it.

The main issues are related to the installation/migration process in databases different from mysql. This is because the migration process ( a heavy and critical one, in order to ensure no data is lost) was written for 1.6 and needs to be ported to moodle's 1.7 and above XML-DB lib .

So far we have rewritten this process and I hope that before august we will deliver a new version of nwiki with the installation process and the migration engine fully XML-DB. Then will be up to Martin and the Moodle HQ to decide if it is ready or not for 1.9.

Cheers
Ludo
ps. as I said to Martin, if NWiki does not come into 1.9 would be a good thing to place it in the HEAD of the CVS when we split for the next version since day one.
ps2. I'm starting a new site for all our developments and projects http://www.dfwikilabs.org easier to remember than the old ones wink

In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

by Michael Penney -
Hi Ludo, is Eloy et al.'s report on what nWiki needs posted somewhere or can you send it to me?
In reply to Mark Pearson

by Mark Pearson -
" Of course, the new wiki is available to download an install, and a very valuable contribution would be for some intrepid early-adopters to download and install it into their production system, then report any bugs that are found. Getting some real-world testing of the new wiki would hopefully privide compelling evidence that it is ready for prime-time, and can now safely go into an official release."

The problem is that as I pointed out in this conversation (on the wiki forum) I (and others) are getting errors that point to Nwiki's basic incompatbility with roles and capabilities. There's no way that I can substitute Nwiki into my production Moodle (though I'd like to) knowing that there are systemic issues that could surface at any moment -- supporting faculty with a live class using a wiki which I know might be flakey would be a nightmare and devastate my reputation (such as it is) smile.

I do think that the Wiki activity should be put on the front burner development wise. Here's a possible list:
  1. Data migration needs attention. After viewing a litany of problems moving from current wiki to Nwiki I decided to drop all the wiki tables in the moodle database before substituting the Nwiki code. Then installation went fine with new tables being generated. But many Moodle systems will want to migrate their wiki data into Nwiki. I wonder whether it might be better to create separate Nwiki tables rather than attempting to reuse the current wiki tables? Just a thought.
  2. Modify Nwiki to make it compatible with roles and capabilities.
  3. Some minor functionality improvements (eg uploaded files seem to be viewable by everyone, regardless of ownership).
What needs to be done in order to substitute Nwiki into 2.0 HEAD? My sense is at least #1 above. My concern is that the longer this is put off the greater the hurdle to getting it into the main Moodle distribution and the greater the likelihood that the code will wither and, come version 2.1, we'll be back to square one.

I have been documenting my Nwiki activies in my Moodle Issues Tiddllywiki and in my Eduspaces Moodle 1.8 experiences community.

For many faculty at Earlham, the Moodle wiki is an answer to a longstanding instructional problem. How to have groups of students working together on a group website that is visible only to the class. A functional, reliable, and rock solid wiki is a great asset to Moodle since it's the only Activity which is purpose designed for group work by students.

Mark
In reply to Mark Pearson

by Ray Lawrence -
There have been many false dawns with nwiki, with fervent assurances that it will be brought up to scratch for one version after another.

I too would like to see the current wiki retired in favour of one which meets current aspirations for this type of tool.

I'm not a developer, but a question that I've found myself asking repeatedly is "Why has this project not come together after all this time?". Ludo, have you analysed this? Have things changed as a result? (I'm not looking for you to go into details here, btw).

I'm also concerned that if the current team retain responsibility for maintenance if nwiki hits the core Moodle then, on my perception of its progress during development, it may become a liability. This would be bad news - confidence in the core release is crucial.
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Ryan Thomas -
I couldn't agree more.

The relative weakness of the current wiki functionality has me withholding recommending the use of moodle in some instances...and I'm now working on tying a 3rd party wiki (e.g., Confluence) in as others have done. But it's unfortunate...to have to deal with integration issues such as authentication, authorization, and search.
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
The answer is simple... the nwiki project has been chasing the moodle core for 3 versions... each time NWiki has been considered to come in BUT it never came into the CVS HEAD. In consequence nobod took it seriously enough to test it, read the code and answer me (check this forum) when I asked for design advice or to validate a design decision.
On April MD said in the dev conference that NWiki had to be reviewed by developers... 10 day ago ( 3 months later and after considerable pressure, which you may call false dawns or what your wish) I received the full report saying : "oh, your wiki is nice, but there are some things that need changing , see attached report, and oh... is almost too late for 1.9.. We are sorry"
HELL these issues would be fixed one month ago if I had the reports on may.
I don't need horsepower to code, but I NEED that some guys with a bloody M under their avatar to tell me how to do it better.

This can only be achieved by putting the thing into head so the senior devs take it seriously.

Ludo

Average of ratings: Useful (1)