I have created yet another course menu because I wasn't really satisfied with the current offerings. We have page for the course menu on our demo site. Download is available there. It's freely available under the GPL 3.
Here's how it's better:
- The previous menus had some less-than-beautiful coding (like short tags, and ignoring null values all over the place). This is quite a headache for people with a strict server configuration.
- It works fine, even on the highest error reporting levels.
- It is XHTML compatible.
- It's much easier to add new options (although not as easy as it should be).
- Chapters: extra complexity. I didn't really see any point in them, if someone wants to add them back in and can do it without sacrificing easy of use that would be great.
- Control Panel: I really think this belongs in a separate module or something. Some of it is course-related, some is not. That can be quite confusing.